Bands with hit singles that were not hit singles

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Trust, the French band, should have been popular internationally, but they never really caught on outside of France to my knowledge. Notably, in America, they're almost unknown except for their song Antisocial, which didn't gain a lot of traction until American heavy metal band Anthrax covered it in English. But the original version of Antisocial and several of their other songs are AMAZING.

I know of a few French metal bands- Satan Jokers!- but I don’t think we’d have Gojira without Trust. An underrated band, for certain.

This song was one of my favorites growing up in the 90's. Blue Moon Ghetto was local to where I lived, and the female vocalist on the song was a local radio personality, Nikki Boulay. I don't know if they deserved to hit it bigger, But I think many people wondered what could have been.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Jeff Buckley

He was tremendously talented, as his decade-long career as a session guitarist and the title track (above) from his debut album shows. Alas, it was also his only album- he drowned swimming in the Mississippi River, fully clothed, at night.

A lot of musicians have also based their covers of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” on Buckley’s version of it.

Despite the quality of the music, Grace didn’t hit Gold status until 2002- 9 years after its release and 6 years after his death.

Last edited:

Jahydin

Hero
The stooges were around in 1969, I don’t get these other first punk rock band ideas. And really, the kinks…or even the Kingsman Louie Louie. They’re cool and all but not first punk rock band.
Yeah, you're totally right. I was just quickly grabbing a description of them off the web real quick without thinking about it. Will fix... (y)

Ryujin

Legend
Yazoo/Yaz:

This song was huge back in the day. The intro to this song was used for all kinds of New Wave themed ads, radio alerts, and so forth. There are bands that cited the debut album as THE reason they got into electronic music.

But internal tensions broke the duo in twain after the second album. Each musician has had long, successful careers with other bands. They did eventually bury the hatchet and have performed together live in 2014 as I recall, but no new recordings have even been hinted at.
"Only You" also got a lot of play up here but, again, only on College radio and that one station I've mentioned elsewhere.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I've got a good addition to this list. It's an odd pairing of two 90s era "popular enough" artists that merged to make a combined band that made songs that sound exactly like what you would think they would sound like.

Presidents of the USA (Lump)+Sir-Mix-A-Lot (Baby Got Back) formed a combined duo group called Subset.

They recorded at least one album and toured around performing songs from that album....but the album was never released for sale. Thanks to the internet you can hear it, though.

Subset is my favorite band that never released an album. It's almost like something from an alternate earth that leaked into our reality.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks for that!

I always wondered what Subset sounded like. I was curious as to where they fit in the rock-rap fusion trend that was going on back then. Most of the stuff I know of was on the heavier side, especially the Anthrax/Public Enemy release and the Judgement Night soundtrack.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Vigil were an American new wave band that had a pretty solid debut album…musically at least.

Between those tracks and some others, they got enough buzz to land on the soundtrack to the 4th Nightmare on Elm Street movie, Dream Master. That track (below) was supposed to be on their second album, but they were unceremoniously dropped by their label, and that album never got released. AFAIK, none of the musicians did anything else of note in the biz. 😕

These guys had the unfortunate timing to start to get noticed right before grunge. Bit of trivia - one of the singers is the person who sang the Buck Rodgers theme song from the TV show.

Remove ads