Bands with hit singles that were not hit singles

the Jester

Legend
It’d be nice if more songs in the thread were good. I mean no one ever thought that Alta Nova or Fastway were good. They were manifestly awful bands only weirdos wold ever like. Don’t push garbage.
It's nice that you are the arbiter of good music and can tell other people what's good and what isn't.

Oh wait, no you can't, you simply don't share their taste and are being kind of a jerk about it. And, even after being called out several times, you're continuing, and adding a healthy dose of condescension as well. Come on. Just stop.

the Jester

Legend
On topic, Ayreon is amazing, little known (at least in the US), and has a good sized catalog of excellent rock opera type work that draws in a huge collection of singers from across the prog rock and prog metal world. Here's what I consider to be the iconic example of their work, including commentary from the guy behind the project.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Trust, the French band, should have been popular internationally, but they never really caught on outside of France to my knowledge. Notably, in America, they're almost unknown except for their song Antisocial, which didn't gain a lot of traction until American heavy metal band Anthrax covered it in English. But the original version of Antisocial and several of their other songs are AMAZING.

At first glance I read the band name as Thrust. Now, THAT'S a rock band name. 😛

Mad_Jack

Legend
On topic, Ayreon is amazing, little known (at least in the US), and has a good sized catalog of excellent rock opera type work that draws in a huge collection of singers from across the prog rock and prog metal world. Here's what I consider to be the iconic example of their work, including commentary from the guy behind the project.

I discovered Ayreon through being a Nightwish fan, and from there looked into the work of several of the other singers.
I think Floor Jansen busting out into the mainstream consciousness on YouTube has gone quite a ways towards shining a more public light on a lot of the other folks in similar genres of music.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Echo & The Bunnymen are another band that can’t quite keep it together. ”The Cutter“ hit #10 in the UK singles charts, and its album hit #2 in the UK album chart.
[
The next album gave us this, another #10 UK charter:

And then? The lead singer went solo, the original drummer died, the band reformed and continues to this day. But they’re not getting much attention beyond their original fanbase.
MEDIA=youtube]Y2ItNtCMgqc[/MEDIA]

The next album gave us this:

And then? A coup more well received albums and the lead singer went solo, then the original drummer died. Eventually, the band reformed and continues to this day. But they’re not getting much attention beyond their original fanbase.

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Echo & The Bunnymen are another band that can’t quite keep it together. ”The Cutter“ hit #10 in the UK singles charts, and its album hit #2 in the UK album chart.
[
The next album gave us this, another #10 UK charter:

And then? The lead singer went solo, the original drummer died, the band reformed and continues to this day. But they’re not getting much attention beyond their original fanbase.
MEDIA=youtube]Y2ItNtCMgqc[/MEDIA]

The next album gave us this:

And then? A coup more well received albums and the lead singer went solo, then the original drummer died. Eventually, the band reformed and continues to this day. But they’re not getting much attention beyond their original fanbase.
Funny to see Echo in this list, because I thought they were pretty big. However reviewing their wikipedia page, I guess indeed, while I loved Ocean Rain and Porcupine; the rest of their catalog I am mostly unfamiliar with. At some point I must have gotten a hold of a greatest hits album because I really appreciate songs like "Lips like Sugar", "Heaven up Here", and "Rescue". Anyway, 👍 to Echo & the Bunnhymen...

And today I learned they are on tour. I wonder if they were in LA within the past few days (yup, 2 dates August 26-27)?!? Too bad I missed em.

MGibster

Legend
Urban Dance Squad’s first single…
Congratulations. This is the first one in the thread that I can recall having heard when it first came out and I'm sure they're considered a one hit wonder here in the United States. Although how are we defining hit single? Deeper Shade of Soul peaked at #21 and anything in the top 40 is usually considered a hit.

Remove ads