Banned Book Recommendation Thread

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Why would eating worms be antisocial behavior? Mill worms, ants, crickets, roaches are often eaten.

"Where the Sidewalk Ends was yanked from the shelves of West Allis-West Milwaukee, Wisconsin school libraries in 1986 over fears that it “promotes drug use, the occult, suicide, death, violence, disrespect for truth, disrespect for authority, and rebellion against parents."" Which is practically verbatim what contemporaries said about D&D as well, for that matter. But the article in question opines that the banning might just be because Shel Silverstein drew cartoons for Playboy.

From Banned Books Awareness: Shel Silverstein – Banned Books Awareness

The head scratchers for me (well, I mean beyond all of the other head-scratchiness in book banning), has been Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends and Dr Seuss' Sneeches book, both of which were attempted to be banned in the district I grew up in in the '80s.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'm not aware of books being banned around me.

I did attend a K-12 parochial system that did not put just anything in the grade school libraries. Books with 'heavy subject matter' landed in the high school library. Books that encouraged disrespectful or disruptive behavior / attitudes just were never bought by any of the schools in the first place.

I may have inadvertently precipitated a book review once:
I found a chemical formula I could not interpret, while reading Brave New World. I copied it down, took it to a chemistry teacher, and asked him what it was. He studied it a moment, he asked me where I found it. I told him. Then he said
"This is the chemical formula for dynamite."
and recommended that I not try to make any at home.

P.S. More recent printed editions of BNW do not include the paragraph with that formula.

Remove ads