• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Barbarian - Background/Theme or Class?

How would you like the barbarian implemented in 5E?

• There should be a barbarian background and a berserker theme - the should not be a barbarian class

Votes: 54 47.8%
  • The barbarian should be its own class with related backgrounds for other classes

Votes: 48 42.5%
  • Other - Explained in the thread

Votes: 11 9.7%

Tallifer

Hero
The AD&D Barbarian was definitely distinct, but also almost unplayable. I give it a lot of respect for its distinctive flavour and use of the neglected twelve sided die. Never wanted to play a character in D&D who could not interact well with magical items however.

The Fourth Edition Barbarian is unarguably distinct, powerful, balanced, fun and flavourful. The Primal power source is a great idea as well.

I have seen a Pathfinder Barbarian in action, but the iconic Pathfinder Barbarian is very cute albeit hopelessly unrealistic looking.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As I noted in the other thread, if a significant minority wants it as a class...they should probably get it. And you could certainly see combining it with other backgrounds and themes....barbarian highlander slayer, perhaps.

Of course, from the poll, I am not sure how many people are voting as I am: thinking it should be a class for others...but maybe not themselves.

GSHamster

Adventurer
Heh, if you go with Barbarian background and Berserker theme, it's actually quite neat to put in different classes and see what you get.

Hand of Crom = Barbarian background + Paladin class + Berserker theme

Rage Mage = Barbarian background + Wizard class + Berserker theme

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The barbarian has never made sense to me as a class. Barbarians are a type of culture and upbringing. Why wouldn't a druid, ranger, shaman, fighter or any other character raised in the wilderness as part of a tribe be considered a barbarian? And what does going into a berserker rage have to do with being a barbarian anyway?
Exactly.

Now take it one small step further and you have my "other" answer:

Barbarian should be a RACE.

A sub-race of Human: lower Int; higher Con or Str; dislike and distrust magic in any form except shamanistic; racial bonus to saves vs. arcane magic; preferred classes Druid (Shaman) or Fighter, or Berserker if allowed; Barbarians cannot be arcane casters of any type without losing ALL racial benefits (they have become too civilized during their training).

Lanefan

Exactly.

Now take it one small step further and you have my "other" answer:

Barbarian should be a RACE.

A sub-race of Human: lower Int; higher Con or Str; dislike and distrust magic in any form except shamanistic;
losing ALL racial benefits (they have become too civilized during their training).

Oh HELL no! [/Emerson Codd]

You want there to be a strong, stupid, and unlearned subrace of humans with shamanistic casting? And who can't become civilised without turning their back on their race?

D&D has quite enough in the way of Unfortunate Implications with orc-genocides without adding any of this nonsense.

Chalice

Explorer
Conan is a Fighter.

I would like "Berserker" to be something those wishing to Raaaage around the place, could take, in the form of a feat chain, talent tree, or other.

If they really, really had to make this a class, it should be something like a subclass. But it's still entirely underwhelming and unconvincing, as that. They're Fighters. With an advantage/disadvantage. The rest is cultural, which is nothing to do with classes.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I went to the trouble of doing the other poll....results are almost the same. 45 percent say they should be a class...41 percent over there said they would play it as a class.

i guess we still don't know how many would insist on it being a class.

Remove ads