• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Barbarian path: The Skald

Capn Charlie

Explorer
In my ongoing gritty low magic campaign, I have disallowed bards along with the rest of the casters, and have been left with a gap of support type characters. As such, I have allowed the following barbarian path to let the players play support while still being fearsome on the battlefield.

Path of the Skald
Warrior poets, Skalds serve the barbarian clans as record keepers, poets, heralds, and entertainers. True to their savage roots, none would be respected if they did not know the field of battle, and this includes the Skald as well, who must earn their own honor on the field of battle before any would give their poems any heed.

A skald will often be found serving a lord and chronicling their deeds, or living a life of adventure to immortalize in verse.

Epic Poet
By 3rd level, you have established yourself as a poet, and gained the respect of your countrymen, on the field with a blade, as well as by the fire with words that are just as cutting. You have committed to memory the epics, and are prepared to immortalize the successes, or the failures, of others by word and on paper.

You gain proficiency in the History skill, proficiency with letters and verse, as well as a single music instrument.

Emboldening Words
At 6th level, you are able to urge your allies to great feats of boldness on the field of battle. While you are raging, all of your allies within 30 feet receive your rage bonus to damage when they make melee attacks using strength.

Battle Chant
Beginning at 10th level, you may chant in battle, challenging your allies to overcome pain and show courage. Your allies within 30 feet gain advantage on saving throws against Fear Effects, and whenever they would take non-magical bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage, they take 3 less.

Song of the Valkyries
When you achieve 14th level, you are no stranger to battle, and it is said you are favored by the Valkyries. While you are raging, whenever an ally within 30 feet would be reduced to 0 hp, they are instead reduced to 1 hp. A creature may only be affected by this effect once until they have taken a long rest.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I like the concept. I have a few suggestions that may improve it.

Epic Poet seems like you can give out more and still be in line with the power level of other Barbarian subclass features at that level. Most of the 3rd level abilities are while raging, I'd consider folding Emboldening Words into this. It only works on melee attacks made with Strength, it's not unbalancing to give with the History skills and a musical instrument, plus it fits the raging combat nature of most of the 3rd level features.

Another thought, though a bit off the wall. If at 3rd the feature also redefines your Unarmored Defense from 10 + Dex + Con to 10 + Dex + Chr. Play up your fighting style is based on the heroes of old, and bold moves the opponents are cowed by. This is high enough level it's not easily cherry picked by multiclassing. This is a power shift, not a boost. It also brings Chr into the skald, which should be useful somewhere.

6th Level barb features vary between combat (Berserker) and non-combat (Totem). Perhaps something similar to the Inspiring Leader feat where out of combat you can recite poetry and battle hymns to get your allies fired up.

Capn Charlie

Explorer
I like the concept. I have a few suggestions that may improve it.

Epic Poet seems like you can give out more and still be in line with the power level of other Barbarian subclass features at that level. Most of the 3rd level abilities are while raging, I'd consider folding Emboldening Words into this. It only works on melee attacks made with Strength, it's not unbalancing to give with the History skills and a musical instrument, plus it fits the raging combat nature of most of the 3rd level features.

Another thought, though a bit off the wall. If at 3rd the feature also redefines your Unarmored Defense from 10 + Dex + Con to 10 + Dex + Chr. Play up your fighting style is based on the heroes of old, and bold moves the opponents are cowed by. This is high enough level it's not easily cherry picked by multiclassing. This is a power shift, not a boost. It also brings Chr into the skald, which should be useful somewhere.

6th Level barb features vary between combat (Berserker) and non-combat (Totem). Perhaps something similar to the Inspiring Leader feat where out of combat you can recite poetry and battle hymns to get your allies fired up.

I wanted to give the class more teeth early, but was afraid that too much at third was frontloading. Most of the proficiencies are noncombat and flavor oriented, so it might be fine.

I dislike the idea of 10+DEX+CHA not because of the flavor, but rather that it seems like a straight downgrade from the normal unarmored bonus, seeing how important con is... how about changing the unarmored AC to be 10+CON+CHA, allowing a skald to dump dex for charisma.

If I fold emboldening words in at 3rd level, how about this for a replacement 6th level ability. "Whenever you reduce a creature to 0 hit points or score a critical hit, all allies within 30 feet gain a number of temporary hit points equal to your level plus your charisma bonus."

Xeviat

Hero
The Barbarian's 3rd level path feature isn't a ribbon, it's a legitimate ability. Give them some teeth.

I wouldn't want Cha to AC. Cha as some sort of limited regeneration seems to fit it more. Invigorating. Confident.

Xeviat

Hero
Not for a low level ability, but it would fit in reasonably with some of the high level abilities. There's something like that somewhere IIRC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads