• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Bard Archetype Feature

seriphim84

Explorer
I am hoping this has already been answered and I just missed it. It can be tricky to search for a5e questions.
The bard, in both my book and on a5e.tools at 9th level (edit: also level 15 I just realized) says it should get an archetype feature. However, no bard subclass has a 9th-level feature. Does anyone know what my player should get instead?

Last edited:

TheHand

Adventurer
I am hoping this has already been answered and I just missed it. It can be tricky to search for a5e questions.
The bard, in both my book and on a5e.tools at 9th level (edit: also level 15 I just realized) says it should get an archetype feature. However, no bard subclass has a 9th-level feature. Does anyone know what my player should get instead?

Here's another report of someone finding that same error(s).

Level Up (A5E) - Likely Error on Bard Level Chart

So this isn't an official answer, but my guess is that the listed Level 15 Archetype Feature is a goof in the leveling chart, since you actually get the feature at Level 14 (and it's listed in the chart at Level 14 as well as 15).

As far as Level 9 goes, there doesn't appear to be any new specific features, though you do get access to new Battle Hymns, higher level spells, and a new Trick. If you look back at "Vanilla" 5e Bards, the only feature they got at Level 9 was an improved Song of Rest (which is now covered by Tricks), and there are no new subclass features there either.

seriphim84

Explorer
Here's another report of someone finding that same error(s).

Level Up (A5E) - Likely Error on Bard Level Chart

So this isn't an official answer, but my guess is that the listed Level 15 Archetype Feature is a goof in the leveling chart, since you actually get the feature at Level 14 (and it's listed in the chart at Level 14 as well as 15).

As far as Level 9 goes, there doesn't appear to be any new specific features, though you do get access to new Battle Hymns, higher level spells, and a new Trick. If you look back at "Vanilla" 5e Bards, the only feature they got at Level 9 was an improved Song of Rest (which is now covered by Tricks), and there are no new subclass features there either.
Thanks! I was sure I wasn't the first to miss it. might give my player something at 9th, it feels dead... but good to know

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Not sure how this one isn't answered/errata'd yet :(
It seems like that 9th level "Features" spot on the chart should be empty- because they get a new trick, new spells, and access to new hymns... but those are all covered elsewhere on the charts.

Remove ads