D&D 3E/3.5 Bardic Agitation as per 3.5

two

First Post
3.5 rules now state:

"Starting a bardic music effect is a standard action."

A player of mine is agitating to get this reduced to a free action like is was, sort of, quasi, in 3.0.

Bard logic argument goes like so: "if it's a standard action, I'll never end up taking it, as I'll cast spells or attack instead." [meaning it is a class benefit that, unlike rage or whatnot, won't be used much because of penalty for use]

Sort of makes sense, but sort of does not.

Is this reasonable, to downgrade it to "free action" to open up your mouth and start singing?

Opinions?

Christian

Explorer
Actually, that was the letter of the rule in 3.0 as well. It wasn't explicitly stated in the bardic music description-but neither was it stated that bardic music was an exception to the general rule that supernatural abilities require a standard action to use ...

IMO, this isn't a serious problem, especially with the power-up that bardic music has gotten. A bard could never cast spells with verbal components while singing anyway; but now that Inspire Courage bonuses scale with levels and take effect immediately (rather than after one round), that's often a better option than any of the bard's spells, and is certainly worth sacrificing an attack for. Especially as pathetic as most bards' attacks are. :D

two

First Post
Well you can move 30' and do a standard action

So it's more like:

6 seconds - [the time it takes to move 30'] = time left to do a standard action.

Since you can do a double move (2 30'moves in 6 seconds) I suppose that implies each takes 3 seconds, so a standard action also takes 3 seconds.

So, to reformulate, does it take 3 seconds to sing a verson from a song?

It might. Or might not. It's magic. I dunno.

Is the "make it a free action as per 3.0" request too much?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I don't believe it takes a full round for bardic music to take effect anymore either, which makes it worth a standard action to activate.

two

First Post
feat it is

I think a feat sounds good, thanks for the suggestion.

"Surge of Emotion," "Instant Inspiration," or some such garbage name, allowing inspire courage to be a free action to start. OK. Works for me.

two said:
Bard logic argument goes like so: "if it's a standard action, I'll never end up taking it, as I'll cast spells or attack instead." [meaning it is a class benefit that, unlike rage or whatnot, won't be used much because of penalty for use]

Sort of makes sense, but sort of does not.

It doesn't.
BTW, if his argument works can I play in your campaign? I have a mage that uses on one-word commands to activate his spells, I think he could pull off 6 or more spells per round. [j/k] :)

Maintaining the song I can see as a free action (keep singing, make Concentration checks as needed) but I don't think I'd let them start as a free action.

As for being useless... what giving all your allies bonuses right at first level is "useless"? A bard is (almost) a must for any party as far as I'm concerned - good skills, good magic, pretty good combat, plus the singing part. Very versatile.

- Ma'at

Last edited:

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I'm surprised to find people believing that it'd unbalance the game to allow bards to sing as a free action. Nearly anyone asked will agree that bards are the weakest class with regards to direct combat. Yet allowing Bardic Music as a free action will make them too strong?

:rolleyes:

Remove ads