Bard's Gate (Necromancer Games)

Davelozzi

Explorer
I was wondering what people thought about Necromancer Games' Bard's Gate. This product was announced years ago, and for a while I was anticipating it, but apparently it slipped in earlier this year under my radar. I have yet to see a copy in stores, and frankly only became aware that it was even out a few weeks ago.

So lacking the ability to flip through it and decide for myself, I turn to the gathered minds of EN World to inform me about the book so I can decide whether or not to order it site unseen. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Oh, any by the way, I am aware that there is a forum dedicated to the book over at Necromancer's site but I'm looking to find out how it's regarded by a wider variety of folks than generally post there.

Crysmalon

Explorer
I recommend it quite a bit. It never received much publicity, but it's a solid city sourcebook and won't cost you $100 like Ptolus. YOu can probably find a copy for $25 or so.

Psion

Adventurer
I just got it myself. I haven't had a chance to read it in depth yet, but I like what I see so far. It's a pretty polished product. The city has a "medium fantasy" feel, and of course, it's steeped in the Necromancer Games backdrop.

Crothian

First Post
It's really good. While I haven't used it as a setting when I was DMing I was reading and using bits and pieces of it a lot.

I'll let you know when it arrives. It has currently been in transit for just over 7 weeks now and it could take up to another 6 weeks to get here (sea mail to Australia is cheap but slow). I haven't heard any negative comments about it to date though.

Olaf the Stout

Treebore

First Post
Dave,

and everyone else who gets/got this, make sure you get the material that was cut from the book. It may be available as downloads on Necromancers website now that they have a new webnmaster, if not you need to get hold of Bowbe (the author) on Necromancers boards in its dedicated forum. ITs good material.

Crysmalon said:
I recommend it quite a bit. It never received much publicity, but it's a solid city sourcebook and won't cost you $100 like Ptolus. YOu can probably find a copy for $25 or so.

Ha! get it here brand new for $11.95 + shipping (or if you're a member like I am, get it for less than $12 with shipping) and for that amount this book is well worth it! I reccomend it heartily.

Crysmalon

Explorer
wow! Is very, very cheap. You can't go wrong especially at that price. I've read it once through - minor nitpicky things (such as the map not being labeled with the city name), but otherwise great book.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Crysmalon said:
These are two very different types of products. That's like comparing pepper and truffle, IMO. Or a sub sandwich and a carpaccio. Both are good, but in very different ways.

Bard's Gate is a good, solid city book. If you're searching for a classic D&D city for the PCs to come back to between adventures and drop a few adventures there as well, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
For utility alone it's a steal. The few extra rules are slick, the NPC database in the back is huge, and the locations are easily portable if you need to swap them for your own city.

As part of a funny, I wonder how many home versions of Bards Gate there are? :)

Seriously, back in I think 2000 we first heard of Legendary "Bard's Gate" in other Necromancer products I was running and set it in my campaign at the time. Had the darndest time keeping the PCs from visiting until the book that would "be out soon" would be...

I couldn't hold them off anymore and had to make it myself. Now that I have the book I look forward to returning to the area or usintg Bard's Gate elsewhere, it's very well done. I happen to have brought it with me to work today to look over at lunch.

-DM Jeff

Last edited:

Remove ads