D&D 5E Barovia and Borca: What is the world they originated from like? And what could it be like now?

Faolyn

(she/her)
It was always true that Strahd became a vampire through a pact with the Dark Powers rather than being infected, so to speak. Strahd being the first vampire wouldn't have fit however, since Duke Gundar (the darklord of Gundarak) was explicitly stated to be an older vampire. (Of course, Gundar has now dissipated into the black hole of retcons).
Time is wonky in Ravenloft.

So strangely enough... Duke Gundar is mentioned in the Van Richten's Guide.

A megalith erected by Barovia's original inhabitants topples near Vallaki. Beneath lies the tomb of an ancient nosferatu who calls himself Duke Gundar; he immediately takes a disliking to Count Strahd von Zarovich.

Definitely a big inconsistency there, but I suppose one could say nosferatu are a more ancient form of vampire that predates the standard version.
Oh wow, dude is still around without his domain.

One thing that can be inferred from Strahd's origins is that the world Barovia came from has much more open conflict between kingdoms than you see with other settings in their current day. Strahd is described as worn down and aged by fighting in many wars prior to becoming a vampire.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
One thing that can be inferred from Strahd's origins is that the world Barovia came from has much more open conflict between kingdoms than you see with other settings in their current day. Strahd is described as worn down and aged by fighting in many wars prior to becoming a vampire.

Sort of true, sort of not?

Greyhawk and Birthright are both settings with pretty much ongoing conflict between states/regions/peoples throughout the history of those lands (e.g., in Greyhawk, the March of Bissel - which is the gateway between east and west - has long been contested ground between Ket to the west, Gran March/Keoland to the south, and Veluna/Furyondy to the east; likewise, the lands of the Great Kingdom of Aerdy have a long and tumultuous history).

That said, while I probably wouldn't make either of those settings the origin world for Barovia, a continent other than Cerilia in the Birthright setting arguably could fit the bill.

True, Greyhawk and Birthright contained their fair share of warfare, as did Dragonlance (depending on the era). I was only thinking of the 5e settings currently supported when I made that comment, to be honest. Barovia being in Cerelia would be very interesting, though I agree, it's not likely. Considering when I6 was released, Greyhawk would be more logical, though likewise not likely.

All this theorizing does have me wondering - what happens to the former areas of places plucked into Ravenloft?

Sort of true, sort of not?

Greyhawk and Birthright are both settings with pretty much ongoing conflict between states/regions/peoples throughout the history of those lands (e.g., in Greyhawk, the March of Bissel - which is the gateway between east and west - has long been contested ground between Ket to the west, Gran March/Keoland to the south, and Veluna/Furyondy to the east; likewise, the lands of the Great Kingdom of Aerdy have a long and tumultuous history).

That said, while I probably wouldn't make either of those settings the origin world for Barovia, a continent other than Cerilia in the Birthright setting arguably could fit the bill.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases