OD&D Basic/BECMI/BX D&Ds and where to find them

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Hello,

say I wanted to give myself an early birthday gift for my upcoming 30th birthday. Say that, never having played the older edition before 3e (and still having trouble differentiating all older editions), I wanted to buy a old set or new conversion. Where would an aging fellow find such treasure? I played some OSR, but which one is best? I found the Rule Cyclopedia at 778 U$D sooner today, but I'm not playing that price :p

EDIT: IIRC, there's was a publisher that kickstarted a reedition in smaller softcovers sooner this year, but cant remember the name.

Stormonu

Legend
OSRIC is free, and something like Classic B/X (Basic/Expert) can be found in game stores or electronically purchased off the likes of DriveThruRPG (including options for “Print on Demand”, if you want an actual paper copy). DriveThru is also the home of the official old D&D PDFs (about $4 each), though I’m not sure you can get those printed from there.

If you want to play a 1Elike game, there is Castles and Crusades (C&C) , Lamentations of the Flame Princess and Dungeon Crawl Classic (DCC) - there’s others, but I haven’t read/tried them. WotC also recently did reprints of the 1E, 2E and 3E core books - though used originals might be cheaper. Noble Knight games might be your best bet for original copies.

As to which version is best, my vote would either be for BESM or 2E. Out of the OSR Options, I’d go with Castles & Crusades.

Tales and Chronicles

OSRIC is free, and something like Classic B/X (Basic/Expert) can be found in game stores or electronically purchased off the likes of DriveThruRPG (including options for “Print on Demand”, if you want an actual paper copy). DriveThru is also the home of the official old D&D PDFs (about $4 each), though I’m not sure you can get those printed from there.

If you want to play a 1Elike game, there is Castles and Crusades (C&C) , Lamentations of the Flame Princess and Dungeon Crawl Classic (DCC) - there’s others, but I haven’t read/tried them. WotC also recently did reprints of the 1E, 2E and 3E core books - though used originals might be cheaper. Noble Knight games might be your best bet for original copies.

As to which version is best, my vote would either be for BESM or 2E. Out of the OSR Options, I’d go with Castles & Crusades.
Yeah, I'd like a paper copy. I found both B/X and BECMI on Drivethru as pdf but I did not see the PoD options. Anyway the shipping cost from Drivethru to Canada is often ridiculous: I found last week that they charge me 117$ to ship a pack of Spell card for Fantasy AGE from Green Ronin!

I already have LoTFP and DCC. I'll check on Nobleknight, thanks. I would like to get my hands on a hardcover for 2e and 3e, so I may as well buy a bundle.

Stormonu

Legend
re: the Kickstarter, you may be thinking of Old School Essentials?
Hah, I’ve been eying that one at my FLGS.

BTW, I just checked DriveThruRPG< you CAN get the original books printed - the Rules Compendium costs $25, for example - that May have been about the actual cost when it was originally produced back in the 80’s!

<Edit> Just saw your post about shipping - that sucks it costs that much. Wonder if there is some sort of forwarding service to get it cheaper?

Lord_Kjeran

Explorer

Tales and Chronicles

Drive-Thru has a print copy of the Rules Cyclopedia for $30, if you want to go that route.

I may take this one. 32 CAD + 16 CAD shipping isnt that bad. Only problem is Purolator. Never add a good experience with' em. Anyway. Tanks.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
Hello,

say I wanted to give myself an early birthday gift for my upcoming 30th birthday. Say that, never having played the older edition before 3e (and still having trouble differentiating all older editions), I wanted to buy a old set or new conversion. Where would an aging fellow find such treasure? I played some OSR, but which one is best? I found the Rule Cyclopedia at 778 U$D sooner today, but I'm not playing that price :p

EDIT: IIRC, there's was a publisher that kickstarted a reedition in smaller softcovers sooner this year, but cant remember the name.
The print on demand Rules Cyclopedia is on the dmsguild.

Remove ads