• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bastion Press/Oathbound conversion question

Okay, so I was thinking about working on converting Oathbound to 4e for a campaign I want to run eventually (and scanning the 4e conversions here to see if someone had already started).

I know that Bastion was having issues that led them to merge with Dragonwing Games... but I can't find anything regarding Oathbound on Dragonwing's website? Does anyone know who owns the license/rights/etc to Oathbound now?

The main reason is that I wanted to get approval, if I could, before I started the process of conversion... I would like to be able to post converted creatures, classes, etc. in order to get feedback, but I do not feel comfortable doing so without approval from the publisher. And, well, if I don't get it, I guess I won't post them for feedback. I don't know the legalities of it - since I wouldn't post material from the books, I don't think that I would be violating the copyright, but posting the idea (such as non-OGL monsters that are unique to Oathbound that I have converted to 4e) I think I might still be violating copyright... which is why I wanted to get permission. I think that converting them for my own campaign is within Fair Use, but posting them might not be.

And if anyone knows where I can get a copy of "Horrors of Penance", which is apparently an Oathbound book that I missed the release of, I would be grateful. I tried eBay and got nothing. ;)

catsclaw227

First Post
Horrors of Penance was written by Brannon Hollingsworth & Ken Marable, both of which (I believe) are fairly active EnWorld members. It's got two mini-adventures, Craving Darkness (10th level) and Totem (17th level).

I don't know who has the rights at Dragonwing Games, but I heard that someone is waiting for something. I just don't know who and what.

Oathbound is awesome, BTW. Good luck with the conversions.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Steve Creech owns Dragonwing, but Dragonwing doesn't own Oathbound. Oathbound is now owned by its original creator, Greg Dent. I have no idea how to get ahold of him these days.

Ashy

First Post
I would contact Steve Creech (who is also on these boards a bit) regarding both of these issues. Horrors used to be a free download on the old Bastion site, but I don't see it listed on DragonWing.

Sorry I can't be of more help - glad folks are still out there playing a setting I loved being a part of, however! :D

catsclaw227

First Post
If it was free, is there a problem if someone posts a link to it again? I have a copy that I can upload, but I am not sure if I would be violating a part of the OGL or the d20 STL.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys... I headed over to Dragonwing's forums and talked with Steve Creech, and he helped me out with the modules I was missing.

And for anyone who isn't aware - he has the Player's Guide for Oathbound (the one that never got published) posted as a free download on his boards, as well. :)

Ghostwind

First Post
Thanks for the kind words. I don't know how to contact Greg Dent regarding Oathbound conversions to 4e, but I don't imagine that he would have a problem with fan conversions for 4e (especially if it would boost sales of existing Oathbound books).

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know how to contact Greg Dent regarding Oathbound conversions to 4e, but I don't imagine that he would have a problem with fan conversions for 4e (especially if it would boost sales of existing Oathbound books).
Well, I think that's good enough for me. :) Thank you!

Once I do start, if anyone has any issues, I'll just remove the posts. Now I just have to find the time to start typing things up.... ;)

Remove ads