Batgirl movie cancelled

Hex08

Hero
as a casual fan of dc i didnt realize there was a separate universe. i knew the actors were different but no idea they were different . Theres so many batmans i just figured they were just different directors with new actors. Same went with spiderman (until the last movie i thought it was just reboots)

for me in america i see comics mainly in comic stores . Graphic novels can be seen in book stores/online stuff.

My local comicbook chain (3 stores i think) reminds me of the simpsons comicbook store and there is stuff on the shelves over 10 years old (heroclix stuff thats not legal in current games etc) while the big chain store sells music/comics tshirts/some D&D stuff etc. The cvs/walgreens which replaced most mom/pop drug stores havent sold comics in a long long time

off topic but i thought was cool. Listening to this radio dj the other day and he was talking about icecream trucks when he was a kid (probably within last 15 years) and his icecream truck guy sold comics plus pizza. Never saw that but as a kid would have loved that
As far as the Spider-Man movies go, they were reboots if the actor changed. Marvel just retrofitted Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield into the MCU. The same mostly holds true for Batman as well although I think Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney maybe were all supposed to be the same guy. The Nolan/Bale Batman was its own self-contained story, the Snyder/Afleck version was also new and part of the DCEU and the recent Reeves/Pattinson The Batman is a whole new thing and not part of the DCEU. If you're not an uber-fan and don't keep up on this stuff I think it's totally reasonable that you looked at it the way you did. I also think that Marvel's over-reliance on in-universe continuity and overarching stories will serve to just eventually confuse the average viewer. That's why I liked the DC approach post-Snyder where each movie was self-contained but loosely connected (with some exceptions like The Batman and Joker being totally removed) but who knows what will happen now with Warner Discovery's 10-year plan.

I'm an old fart and never had an ice-cream truck sell comics, I'm kind of jealous of that.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
As far as the Spider-Man movies go, they were reboots if the actor changed. Marvel just retrofitted Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield into the MCU. The same mostly holds true for Batman as well although I think Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney maybe were all supposed to be the same guy. The Nolan/Bale Batman was its own self-contained story, the Snyder/Afleck version was also new and part of the DCEU and the recent Reeves/Pattinson The Batman is a whole new thing and not part of the DCEU. If you're not an uber-fan and don't keep up on this stuff I think it's totally reasonable that you looked at it the way you did. I also think that Marvel's over-reliance on in-universe continuity and overarching stories will serve to just eventually confuse the average viewer. That's why I liked the DC approach post-Snyder where each movie was self-contained but loosely connected (with some exceptions like The Batman and Joker being totally removed) but who knows what will happen now with Warner Discovery's 10-year plan.

I'm an old fart and never had an ice-cream truck sell comics, I'm kind of jealous of that.
I'd really like to see them work Pattinson's Batman into a movie with Phoenix's Joker. Maybe two more Batman movies in that vein with Pattinson's character becoming the more polished and experienced version over the arc.

Hex08

Hero
so...yeah what the hell? We don't get a full batigrl movie with Keaton but we get this spin-off?

I'm not sure what's going on with Discovery/HBO Max. I thought they were exiting scripted programming, but this article shows some new and continuing shows are still moving forward. Granted, I have no idea how reliable a source this is.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

This reporting seems to indicate that the whole "reset" and "10 year" thing was .... nonsense.

Basically, they are rooting around, cancelled stuff that they could get tax breaks on (like Batgirl), angered a bunch of people, and are moving around like untethered ships in a marina during a hurricane.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm not sure what's going on with Discovery/HBO Max. I thought they were exiting scripted programming, but this article shows some new and continuing shows are still moving forward. Granted, I have no idea how reliable a source this is.

It's like they're bring run like any other streaming service, but 75% more deranged chimpy.

Basically, they are rooting around, cancelled stuff that they could get tax breaks on (like Batgirl), angered a bunch of people, and are moving around like untethered ships in a marina during a hurricane.
Let's throw what the fans want out the window, but in the mean time let's spin this wheel of content and see what happens

Hex08

Hero
It really seems like very few companies know how to handle superhero properties as movies. We've had Marvel/Disney being successful with the MCU and that's it. While The DCEU movies were better post-Snyder they were infrequent and AT&T/Warner really didn't seem to have a cohesive plan with Warner/Discovery being seemingly worse. Sony has the rights to the Spider-Man characters and have put out three movies in their extended universe of varying quality, focusing completely on villains while ignoring heroes like Spider-Woman (at least we got Into the Spider-verse). Then we have Sony also trying to start a universe based on the Valiant properties, which it seems Bloodshot killed.

Honestly, the best superhero stuff being done currently is on streaming services with shows like The Boys, The Umbrella Academy and Invincible.

Last edited:

297063715_5539791206083648_426141859682798485_n.jpg

Remove ads