• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battles & Badges

Camelot

Adventurer
A while ago, I started a project to make a Pokemon TTRPG using the D&D 4e rules. I had quite some help from the folks on this board, and now that I've started back up, I thought I'd put it here to see who's interested.

Battles_&_Badges is completely seperate from D&D 4e, besides almost entirely using the same rules. Like Gamma World, but closer to the original system. Each Pokemon is a unique class with few options (compared to normal D&D classes), and instead of a race you apply your trainer specialization. The 4e system works perfectly for Pokemon, for the following reasons: 1) it is very focused on combat, 2) the power structure resembles in some way the Pokemon move system, 3) you can be nearly killed one day but completely refreshed the next, and a few more minor reasons.

So far, I've created several trainer_specializations that are meant for player characters (there will be ones in the future meant for NPCs, like monster races in D&D) as well as the 1st-level basis for Pichu (or Pikachu if you prefer) and Bulbasaur. I'll make Charmander and Squirtle next, then probably convert a bunch of feats, and see where to go from there. Feel free to critique and suggest things about the design. I'll of course be taking requests once I make enough to form the basis of the game!

Locien

First Post
This is actually very well thought out and designed. Considering there's hundreds of pokemon(even the original 151 is a very large number), might you consider generating some guidelines for pokemon design and ask for some help making the individual?
Also Missingno should be included as an eldrich abomination of sorts.

Camelot

Adventurer
Of course, I'd love if anybody wanted to help out and design some Pokemon.

A few guidelines I suppose would be:

1) Use the format I've been using, it's easy to read and understand. It's perfectly fine to include next to none or even no flavor; we're focusing on the mechanics because the flavor of Pokemon is already everywhere out there, and there's not much to add.

2) Pokemon should be balanced to the D&D classes. The only exceptions are the average size of a Pokemon is Small, at least in their first stage; they have all their resistances, vulnerabilities, and immunities that Pokemon in the games have, because it wouldn't be Pokemon without them, so they should be balanced with advantages or disadvantages from that in mind; and they use natural weapons, unlike D&D characters.

If you have any ideas - even if it's vague and a relatively small thing, or an entire Pokemon you've designed - feel free to post it here or at Half-Orc Bard. I'll post anything I like at HOB, giving credit where credit is due.

Remove ads