D&D General BBEGs shouldn't miss.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For the sake of the PCs I don't mind if a BBEG misses now and then, because often when they hit they pack a serious punch and the one-attack reprieve always draws a sigh of relief from the player. :)

I'm running Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth at the moment (1e variant game) and last session the party met and fought Drelzna. I wasn't pulling my punches: of a party of 6 they outright lost two dead and the survivors are down a total of six levels between them. If she hadn't missed a few times it'd have probably been four dead and two fled, with Drelzna the victor and the party in ruins.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
This just might be the case of simply making the BBEG's attack bonus higher than normal. So it almost usually will hit... but occasionally you might get that 1 or 2 rolled to cause a miss. No reason to make a special "no attack roll needed, auto-hit" ruling for a BBEG.

That being said... I also don't think there's anything wrong with creating special attacks that are shades of magic missile-- especially attacks that are force damage. Everyone knows MM auto-hits... so other spell-like force damage attacks that also auto-hit would not and should not confuse or annoy players.

The players get four turns to one turn of the Big Bad Evil Guy. It's fine if, in a combat that lasts three or four rounds, each PC misses once or twice, because overall the party still does something interesting each turn.

I don't think the boss should miss with their attacks, or at the very least they should have an effect regardless of whether their attack hits. This was a common design conceit in 4e, but not in 5e.

Now, in traditional video game RPGs, the PCs and the boss (almost) always hit, unless someone is hit with a condition like blinded. On the other hand, in many action video games the boss will try to do something dangerous, but you can dodge or parry it. However, there's always a sense of the boss being dangerous, and the PCs having to pick the right tactics to survive, rather than just relying on luck of the dice.

What do you think? Should D&D boss monsters have more abilities that don't require a die roll to be threatening?
I think there shouldn't be Boss Monster's. The idea of a Boss Monster means I'm playing a video game. I prefer to present my players with a living world. If I wanted them to play a video game, I would tell them to go do that.

Remove ads