D&D 5E Beast master, two-weapon fighting, and Extra Attack

Pickaxe

Explorer
Can a beast master fighting with two weapons make an offhand attack after commanding the beast companion to attack?

Two-weapon fighting allows you to make an offhand attack as a bonus action when you use the Attack action. Extra attack allows you to make a second (or more) attack when you use the Attack action.

A beast master can use an action to let the beast companion take the Attack action, and at 5th level the beast master can make an attack after commanding the companion to attack.

Technically, the rules do not say that the beast master is using the Attack action, which is required for making an offhand attack. Am I missing something, and, if not, do others allow offhand attacks anyway?

Dausuul

Legend
Technically, the rules do not say that the beast master is using the Attack action, which is required for making an offhand attack. Am I missing something, and, if not, do others allow offhand attacks anyway?
By a strict reading, you are correct: The beastmaster did not take the Attack action, and thus does not have the option for an off-hand attack.

However, as long as you made at least one attack yourself, I would absolutely allow the off-hand strike. Beastmasters have it rough enough as it is.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
What? Correct me if I'm wrong but it's this bit that's wrong:
and at 5th level the beast master can make an attack after commanding the companion to attack.
AFAIK, at 5th level you can command your beast by forgoing an attack when you take the Attack action?

EDIT: Checked and wow, that sucks.

Pickaxe

Explorer
I actually think 5e had the right idea in folding companion actions into those of their masters, both to limit power and to avoid adding length to combats. In this case, I think the issue is that the wording interferes with another avenue for the ranger to pursue (TWF), and my guess is that was unintentional. Hence, I agree with allowing offhand attacks with a companion’s attack.

Remove ads