D&D 5E Bellator Arcana - The Eldritch Knight Guide

zaratan

First Post
There's plenty of debate whether Agonizing Blast would work on multiple beams. Since the Evoker can't apply his INT to every magic missile dart they fire, I would definitely rule that out.

In fact there isn't any debate about agonizing blast, he will be applied in all beams, it is "on a hit", and there isn't any errata about that. You can't compare with empowered evocation or elemental affinity, you can use those in any spell, not just one cantrip.

Last edited:

famousringo

First Post
The attack cantrips become gold when their specific situations arise (defending/hitting two foes), otherwise they're blue. At 7-10, using them is very good. At 11-16, trading 2d8 for 1d8 or higher + STR/DEX is kind of an even trade, but an extra attack means another chance to hit, too (another foe or the same). From level 17 to 19 it really is better to use them. All of this assuming the EK is taking his two cantrips on melee cantrips (which would reduce melee-ranged versatility) and also using up their bonus action every turn.

Extra attacks smooth out the damage curve and prevent overdamage, but unless I'm squishing kobolds, once I have War Magic I would pretty much always use Booming Blade instead of Attack action. You're either controlling an enemy's movement or you're getting bonus damage, and that's a worthy trade for some spikes in the damage curve.

Yes, it's nice to be able to get those extra attacks if you need to use your bonus action on Second Wind, but the core of my point is that this should be the exception for the EK. Once you have War Magic, melee cantrip is the rule. Although if you surge, you'll probably want to use that extra action on attacks instead of a melee cantrip, since you can only trigger War Magic once.

You're right that an EK should probably grab a ranged cantrip with one of their picks, but they get a third cantrip a few levels after they get War Magic, and as I've been trying to demonstrate, as of level 7 (also level 3 and 4, I guess), Booming Blade alone is almost always going to be better than the Attack action. And if you're multiclassing to another caster, you'll get more cantrip picks, and once you have War Magic, your DPR will keep pace with a pure fighter while you advance as a caster.

Speaking of multiclassing, besides Eldritch Blast (thanks for backing me up on Agonizing Blast zaratan), a warlock multiclass offers all the usual bladelock tricks. Armor of Agathys, Hex, Hellish Rebuke (although yes, EK has no shortage of reaction abilities), Dark One's Blessing, and Darkness + Devil's Sight. At high level, Lifedrinker + War Magic even grants you something equivalent to a 4th attack. You lose out on Haste if you go deep, but warlock multiclass really deserves better than red, IMO.

Alright, time to quibble about spells. This is the only guide I've seen that rates Melf's Acid Arrow over Scorching Ray. The damage just stinks. An upranked Magic Missile does just as much damage with no miss chance and no waiting for a second round. And most casters rank Minute Meteors as perhaps on par with Fireball, but not better. That's because of the smaller area, the longer time it takes to apply damage, and the use of concentration. And you can probably guess by now that I'll also complain it competes with War Magic. ;)

mellored

Legend
Your acting like getting booming blade prevent's you from multi-attacking. It doesn't. You have both options.

You can use booming blade on one turn, bring someone down to 1 HP, then multi-attack the next (or with action surge) to ensure you get the finishing blow.

You're right, but the feat helps with material components: since you can use the same hand for them as the one for somatic components and the feat removes the necessity for a hand, I'm assuming you can hold the component pouch with your shield.

Actually, if your spell has a material component, you can automatically use the same hand as you use the somatic component in--so a spell pretty much always only takes one hand. Also, you don't need to hold the component pouch, you only need to "access" it. I've always assumed component pouches are worn on the waist like belt pouches by most casters. If you want to actually hold an arcane focus like a wand though, that one isn't clearly spelled out. (PBR p. 79) One could make the argument that since most spell components aren't consumed--and so you are both pulling out that chromatic orb diamond and the putting it back as part of casting the spell, all for free--you should be able to pull out a focus and put it away for free also. Of course then you have to decide whether you want drawing and sheathing a wand to be somehow easier than doing the same with a sword. But for a wearer of a component pouch, you don't really have to worry about the hassle of spellcasting most of the time.

War Caster mostly only matters for those using two-weapon fighting, or who want the other benefits (which are pretty nice).

Wow...it's kind of weird to read that and realize how competent of a rules lawyer I've turned into this issue.

Also, cool >>>>>>>> optimized.

Definitely. Though I do wish we had our gestalt multiclassing rules so I could mix up my eldritch knight/conjurer and get the benefit of more than 7 fighter levels out of it.

famousringo

First Post
Your acting like getting booming blade prevent's you from multi-attacking.

I am? I mentioned three situations in my post where you might want to multi-attack. Still:

the core of my point is that [multi-attack] should be the exception for the EK. Once you have War Magic, melee cantrip is the rule.

While the guide says:

• War Magic: Offensively, it’s almost always better to attack more rather than using a cantrip and one attack.

Kilgore Trout

First Post
Hey there -

Great guide! You actually posted in a thread I had about some EK ideas so I appreciate the input.

Wanted to get your thoughts around a couple of questions:

1. If taking levels in Wizard, what level would you suggest? Almost seems like an EK might want to get to level 8 to get the first set of ASIs as well as War Magic before taking levels in Wizard.

2. Let's say I'm a Half-Orc EK with the Great Weapon Fighting feat and a Greataxe who wanted to take advantage of this combo:

- Hold Person + Eldritch Strike + Action Surge: On the first round, attack a humanoid in any fashion you like. On the second one, cast Hold Person (they will save with disadvantage). On that same round, Action Surge to perform your regular attack routine, except this time with advantage… and critting on every hit. Who needs a Champion?

Would it look like this during the Action Surge:

Attack Action: Attack #1 hits. Auto Crit. 2d12 + modifier. Great Weapon feat procs creating a Bonus Action extra attack. Attack #2 (from original attack action) hits. Auto Crit. 2d12+modifier. Bonus Action Attack hits. Auto Crit. 2d12+modifier.

Seems like the half-orc's Savage Attack would really come into play here if I'm understanding the rules correctly....

3. What are your thoughts on not taking any of the SCAG cantrips? I tend to play in AL, so can only use SCAG or EE...not both. I'm thinking Absorb Elements might come in more handy.

Thanks again for a great guide!

KT

LightningArrow

First Post
1. If taking levels in Wizard, what level would you suggest? Almost seems like an EK might want to get to level 8 to get the first set of ASIs as well as War Magic before taking levels in Wizard.

2. Let's say I'm a Half-Orc EK with the Great Weapon Fighting feat and a Greataxe who wanted to take advantage of this combo:

Attack Action: Attack #1 hits. Auto Crit. 2d12 + modifier. Great Weapon feat procs creating a Bonus Action extra attack. Attack #2 (from original attack action) hits. Auto Crit. 2d12+modifier. Bonus Action Attack hits. Auto Crit. 2d12+modifier.

Seems like the half-orc's Savage Attack would really come into play here if I'm understanding the rules correctly....

3. What are your thoughts on not taking any of the SCAG cantrips? I tend to play in AL, so can only use SCAG or EE...not both. I'm thinking Absorb Elements might come in more handy.

Thanks again for a great guide!

KT

1) Actually, I would go to level 11 as pure Fighter first before going Wizard; Eldritch Strike and the third attack make it all worthwhile. After that, the fighter doesn't get many defining class features (at least, nothing as good as Portent, for example).

2) By RAW, each crit would be dealing 3d12+STR if you're a half-orc, plus anything special (like the elemental damage from Absorb Elements, if they blasted you). Screaming and foaming at the table optional, but encouraged.

3) The attack cantrips are very good, but Absorb Elements is mandatory for tanking. Damage will 95% of the time come from weapons or blasts, and without AE you can't cover the latter. Add Shield, Resilient (WI) and Indomitable, and the DM will have to come up with some creative ways to bring you down.

Thanks for the input!

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If your DM allows the Unearthed Arcana, what do you think about multiclassing into the Mystic. If you chose the Order of the Immortal you gain a number of martial options, and at 3rd you gain tHP equal to your Int mod at the start of each of your turns.

Remove ads