Belt of Reduce Person

hornedturtle

First Post
I'm planning on making a Synthesist Summoner who will eventually have a huge Eidolon however that could be a hassle when fighting indoors. So I had the idea that an item with Reduce Person that you could activate and deactivate would be useful for solving that. It is a first level spell with a caster level one for a spell that lasts minutes per level (1x1x2x2000=4000gp) Does being able to turn it on and off raise the cost? Questions, Comments, Concerns?

Nebten

First Post
Armbands of Reduction from Arms & Equipment Guide (3.0 D&D) might be worth looking at. They are 2000 gp. If I remember correctly, it could be activated up to three times a day. It is someplace to start anyways.

milo

First Post
I think you have the right price by the book. Run it by your DM and see if they will let you make/buy it.

Edit:
The only problem with the pricing guide is if you follow it strictly you can get some items that are too good by the pricing guide 2 off the top of my head are Mage armor and Shield.
Bracers of Mage Armor continuous would be 2000 gp(1x1x2000) vs Bracers of AC +4 at 16000.

Ring of Shield would be 4000(1x1x2x2000) vs a +2 shield(same price, but immune to magic missile, no armor check penalty, no proficiency, free hand for TWF or Two handed, etc)

Last edited:

hornedturtle

First Post
Anything using True Strike would be another example of something overpowered when built using the guidelines. I guess I was wondering if people thought this was reasonable before asking, lol.

milo

First Post
For your character the item is not overpowered. I would probably allow it, but I would be worried about a rogue wanting to get his hands on it. Another concern would be the barbarian saying he wants one with enlarge person. Neither would be game breaking though. Maybe throw on a 50% price increase.

Satin Knights

First Post
It is a major loophole item. It allows a synthesist or normal eidolon to get a +6 STR, +4 CON and +3 Natural Armor, while still fitting in normal 10' corridors and squeezing through 5' doorways. I would allow a Belt of Devolution in a game long before I allowed a Belt of Reduce Person or Belt of Enlarge Person.

frankthedm

First Post
It is a major loophole item. It allows a synthesist or normal eidolon to get a +6 STR, +4 CON and +3 Natural Armor, while still fitting in normal 10' corridors and squeezing through 5' doorways. I would allow a Belt of Devolution in a game long before I allowed a Belt of Reduce Person or Belt of Enlarge Person.
Good point. Making your eidolon huge is supposed to be a enormous logistical problem.

Last edited:

milo

First Post
IIRC, the Eidolon is a Outsider... so reduce person won't work....

You are correct, I was thinking that they have a share spells type ability to get past this, but it is the opposite.

From UC
While fused, the synthesist counts as both his original
type and as an outsider for any effect related to type,
whichever is worse for the synthesist.

Remove ads