Ben Riggs Releases Historical Sales Numbers for D&D Settings

darjr

I crit!
EB861C14-69C0-4726-B0C1-042E5867DFB5.jpeg

F77C4C9E-8C5D-4304-8BD8-D23D1511AE53.jpeg

darjr

I crit!
Behold! Sales numbers for Greyhawk and Oriental Adventures!

The first chart is a sales comparison of core Greyhawk setting releases between ‘79 and ‘94. The second shows sales of Oriental Adventures between ‘85 and ‘92. (It has no recorded sales after ‘92.)

There are some strange features on these charts which may be the result of sloppy bookkeeping at TSR because they just look so weird. For example, the Greyhawk Rulebook and World of Greyhawk all have years with zero sales, which just seems like a statistical oddity if it isn’t someone making a mistake in record-keeping.

There are also years with more returns than sales, which is why the chart does dip into negative territory.

I have so much setting data that I’m having trouble processing in charts, so for now, I’m going to post by setting, and then when it’s all out there, I’m going to compile some totals.

I’m posting actual sales numbers below for those that are interested.

Like these posts? Have you preordered my book on D&D history yet? Click the link in the comments below!

And remember, he has a book with many more details, in preorder here

aco175

Legend
1990 was a terrible year for Greyhawk. Does the negative number mean that people returned 20,000 copies or just that retailers returned unsold stock?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
1990 was a terrible year for Greyhawk.
Keep in mind what else is going on at the time - in 1989 TSR published 2e. The huge number of returns of unsold Greyhawk Adventures is probably because it came out literally months before the new edition dropped. Despite how we view 1e and 2e now, back then there was definitely a stripe of "why would I buy a 1e book when 2e is out now" going on and I suspect retailers were burned by it.
The Facebook responses are amazing, for instance THE D&D historian noted that he had to think about it and that he indeed didn’t even OWN a copy of “From the Ashes”
That From the Ashes 2e version of Greyhawk is also a blind spot in my own collection.

Remove ads