Ben Riggs Releases Historical Sales Numbers for D&D Settings

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
When I first bought the PHB in 1986, there were still advertisements for the "collectors" White Box OD&D. I'm pretty sure that by then it was just a leftover that no one had bothered to remove from later printings, but back in the late seventies it was a thing. Of course, as a kid, I didn't care at all about the older version people used to play years before... :LOL:
Whereas I still have a copy of Supplement I: Greyhawk that a friend of my folks gave me, which confused but enchanted me when referenced alongside my Mentzer Basic, Cook Expert, 1E Unearthed Arcana and Oriental Adventures, etc...

Last edited:

Does he have the sales from Kara Tur Campaign Setting, the setting book that merges OA with FR? If it has descent sales then combined with OA it could have had more total sales then Greyhawk.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about considering OA as a straightforward setting book, considering how many rules there were. Personally, I used quite a bit of the rules for a while but I never really interacted with the setting.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Whereas I still have a copy of Greyhawk that a friend of my folks gave me, which confused but enchanted me when referenced alongside my Mentzer Basic, Cook Expert, 1E Unearthed Arcana and Oriental Adventures, etc...
I traded another older kid a stack of comics to get their copy of the Greyhawk boxed set - everything in great condition but no box. I'm sure I probably traded away something good in that stack of comics because for the life of me I can't understand why that kid traded it to me.

(Years later I wrote to the TSR Hobby Shop when I made a catalog order and asked if they had any empty Greyhawk boxes that I could buy because I'd lost mine and they actually sent me an empty Greyhawk box as part of the order. TSR as a company may have had a lot of issues but the customer service in their Hobby Shop staff was excellent every time I dealt with them.)

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I traded another older kid a stack of comics to get their copy of the Greyhawk boxed set - everything in great condition but no box. I'm sure I probably traded away something good in that stack of comics because for the life of me I can't understand why that kid traded it to me.

(Years later I wrote to the TSR Hobby Shop when I made a catalog order and asked if they had any empty Greyhawk boxes that I could buy because I'd lost mine and they actually sent me an empty Greyhawk box as part of the order. TSR as a company may have had a lot of issues but the customer service in their Hobby Shop staff was excellent every time I dealt with them.)
Nice. The only Greyhawk campaign setting book I ever owned until recently was the (disappointing) Greyhawk Adventures hardcover. A couple of years ago I picked up the books and maps from the 1983 set used in a local game store, though sans box. Alas, I can't send away for a new one anymore. :LOL:

Remove ads