D&D 2E Bend bars/lift gates or strength check?

SonOfFeanor

Villager
Besides attempting to bend bars or lift a gate, you can use bend bars/lift gates to determine “a similar feat of enormous strength.” How does that differ from a strength check (rolling 1d20 and trying to get less than or equal to your Str. score)? Is a strength check more for when the task is not an “enormous” feat of strength?

Btw, I tried registering at dragonsfoot but an admin had to approve me. That was several days ago and I haven't been approved yet. Thank you EN World for allowing me to register so quickly (like every other website does).

Thanks!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Is a strength check more for when the task is not an “enormous” feat of strength?
That's my understanding of it. I'd use a Strength check for something like pulling up someone tied to a rope and dangling over the edge of a cliff, or for an opposed roll like if you want to shove open a door that someone is bracing, but for something like barreling through a series of obstacles in your way when you're chasing someone...

...then I'd go for a bend bars/lift gates roll.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Besides attempting to bend bars or lift a gate, you can use bend bars/lift gates to determine “a similar feat of enormous strength.” How does that differ from a strength check (rolling 1d20 and trying to get less than or equal to your Str. score)? Is a strength check more for when the task is not an “enormous” feat of strength?
That's about how I've always handled it, yes; also if for whatever unusual reason I want the higher granularity of a d% roll rather than d20.

Bars-gates gives much lower odds of success for most characters.
Btw, I tried registering at dragonsfoot but an admin had to approve me.
D-foot is a great site but unfortunately submissions and registrations can and do either take ages for approval or disappear entirely. I suspect those who run it are doing so as a sidelight, in contrast with here where the site owner and a few others make the site their first priority.

darjr

I crit!
FFD0C3EC-E2C2-4216-8A6F-EC081435A630.jpeg

I think the above would give you my preference.

And yes, bend bars is for “hard” strength checks and lift gates for “easier” ones.

SonOfFeanor

Villager
That's about how I've always handled it, yes; also if for whatever unusual reason I want the higher granularity of a d% roll rather than d20.

Bars-gates gives much lower odds of success for most characters.
Wow, you’re right. An 18 Str. gives you a 16% chance to bend bars/lift gates, but if doing a strength check, it’s 90%. I guess that’s why the former is for feats of enormous strength!

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Although I could be wrong, I don't think there is such a thing as a "strength check" in AD&D 2E. I have found that the phenomenon is mentioned twice in the PHB/DMG (under "Jogging and Running" and "Swimming" to be precise) and it is basically used to see how long a character can keep up what he/she's doing. There is some blurb in the PHBOR series about "opposed strength checks", which are largely used to resolve who wins when strength is involved.

I would therefore argue that a character must pass a "Bend Bars/Lift Gates" check for "feats of enormous strength" (such as bending a bar or lifting a gate) and that a "strength check" can be used for acts that involve strength in general. Using BB/LG checks whenever great strength is required has the added advantages of limiting chances of success, generating a sense of achievement when one is passed, and making very strong characters the ones to go to for "feats of enormous strength" - as opposed to just anyone. I would also argue that allowing PCs to make "ability score checks" (with their considerable chances of success because they are PCs) has a good chance of them developing a disregard for dangerous situations because they "will get out of it anyway". It is one of the things I have against the rules for Non-Weapon Proficiencies as they were presented in the PHB before the 1995 revision (which weren't that good either, but that's another story).

ilgatto

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases