• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Benefits of playing D&D

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I've found playing D&D to help boost self-confidence, especially among teenagers.

- It helped me stop being a complete hermit and interact with other people.
- One player had a list of neuroses as long as your arm; perked up considerably when his Wizard became the go-to guy to take down hordes of enemies and got praise and acclamation for it.
- Girls / women who "hate math" but add up the dice before the geeks and nerds do.
- Three-year old who figures out the "make believe" part of the game and calls out what Mommy's character is going to do.
- You don't have to be a Paladin (but it helps) to act chivalrously to a female player's character, she reacts like you did it with her IRL
- (The previous also works in reverse, fair warning)
- If your character is bold and courageous, eventually you start acting like him/her, because you have a reputation to live up to.
- Weapon to fight against depression and general teen moodiness

Water Bob

Adventurer
Let's not forget that D&D has changed your vocabulary!

When a quaterback gets sacked or an MMA fighter takes a fateful blow, you say, "Ouch! Rolled a 20!" Or, "Bam! Critical Hit!"

When you almost fall on your butt on some wet pavement but catch yourself at the last moment, you say, "Made my DEX check!"

TKDB

First Post
As a family game, it brings the family together (game group specific)
True facts: Every Christmas for the past few years, I've run a one-shot for my dad and brothers. Mom doesn't join in, but she likes to watch or listen in from the next room. Fun times all around, and it's a source of lots of good memories.

TallIan

Explorer
How about saving money and preventing liver disease?

It's saved me a FORTUNE in beer tokens through my 20s - I would have been in the pub if I wasn't playing. Considerably less beer consumed during a d&d session than a pub session.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

pdzoch

Explorer
Funny you should say that. My wife's comment about my hobby is that it wasn't drinking, gambling, or carousing.

Sent via magic sending while journeying on a quest.

darkrose50

First Post
[1] DM = Project Manager (skills that translate to a job)
[2] Reading (my reading level went from 3rd grade in 5th grade to the college level in 8th grade)
[3] Math
[4] Socialization (perfect for those who have Asperger’s Syndrome, like me)
[5] Teamwork
[6] Problem solving

MonsterMash

First Post
Well to misquote Albert Camus "All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to Dungeons & Dragons. Kill them and take their stuff".

Remove ads