D&D 5E Berserker - How does it really compare to Totem Warrior?

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Very good point. However, this is only helpful for Perception checks, since AFAIK nothing else gets disadvantage from dim light to begin with.
Uh... yes. Was there any doubt? I should know better than to assume people actually read the class feature being discussed.

I will say that if you swapped frenzy with retaliation, most of the issues would go away. Of course, that would make the berserker less useful for DM's to add to monsters (what do we care if the monster gets exhausted, it isn't likely to survive the fight anyway), but only slightly, because most of the time you are adding levels of berserker to monsters that are probably taking on the party's front line.

If you got retaliation at 3rd level, you would get the normal number of attacks, plus whatever chance of making an OA plus whatever chance you have to make an additional attack if someone melee'd you and didn't move away. Depending on the fight, you might be swinging your sword slightly more often then the fighter. Not as much as if you had frenzy, but even a small chance makes you better (for a little while). At level 14, you are in a better position to get the cleric to greater restore you, so you could use frenzy twice a day.

Arial Black

Adventurer
Not being susceptible to disadvantage is different from gaining advantage to negate potential disadvantage.

So when Eagle Sight allows you to ignore disadvantage for dim light, any potential source of advantage would remain. Even in dim light.

My bad! I was AFB when I commented, and was thinking that the ability granted advantage, rather than saying that dim light doesn't grant disadvantage like it usually does.

Remove ads