Besides D&D, what are you playing?

Kersus

Explorer
Testing the new version of the Inner City RPG on Roll20/Discord.

It's basically like AD&D1e for modern times if modern times was Starsky & Hutch and you were the bad guys. Set in the early 80s.

Hoping to play some Traveller or Tales of Equestria at home.

lordabdul

Explorer
I don't play D&D except very very occasionally (I ran a few adventures for my kid and his friends before they had one kid step up to DMing, and before that the last time must have been 10 years ago!). These days I play CoC and Delta Green. I'm starting the WFRP 4e Starter Set scenario tomorrow (pretty excited, I have never played Warhammer before!)... I hope figuring out this whole "online gaming" thing won't get in the way (using Roll20 for that). I recently did a RuneQuest one-shot, and will do a HeroQuest one-shot hopefully after WFRP.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The weekly Thursday Night group alternates between D&D 5e and Shadowrun 5e. My Sunday group plays Pathfinder 1e.

We've been trying a few different platforms for playing online. Tonight, we try Google Meets.

lordabdul

Explorer
Which edition of RQ did you run? I played the second edition of Mongoose a long time and it's BEAUTIFUL
The new RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha version. I really like a lot of things they tried to do (and the book is quite gorgeous), but it tends to be a bit unfinished when you look at the details. Nothing that can't be fixed with some errata and a couple house rules, though. I have never played any previous edition, so I have only an academic knowledge of how it compares to them.

PabloM

Adventurer
The new RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha version. I really like a lot of things they tried to do (and the book is quite gorgeous), but it tends to be a bit unfinished when you look at the details. Nothing that can't be fixed with some errata and a couple house rules, though. I have never played any previous edition, so I have only an academic knowledge of how it compares to them.

Oh, I read it but I found it a bit overwhelming the number of elements to consider, plus while I'm a fan of RQ, I'm not really attracted to Glorantha.
Anyway, after what you say, I'm going to give it a try.

lordabdul

Explorer
Anyway, after what you say, I'm going to give it a try.
If you're not attracted to Glorantha, you might want to pass... the game is 100% tied to the setting. If you're willing to give it another chance, however, it may pay off because I think they did a good job with the setting introduction, and how the character creation starts with rolling your family history, which means you both learn about the world's recent history (further easing you into it), and it "anchors" your character in that history (like gaining Pendragon-like "Passions" such as "I hate the Trolls because they killed my grandma during the unrest of 1598" or whatever).

If you want a generic bronze-age/fantasy game with elaborate magic systems, take a look at Mythras, which is (as far as I can tell) the continuation of the Mongoose RQ rules, but rebranded after they lost the rights to the "RuneQuest" name.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Isn't that a Diablo style dungeon crawler on tabletop, including fast leveling and contained environments?
It shares thematic elements, but that's about where the similarities end. There's barely any gear treadmill to speak of, and it has less attributes and mechanical crunch than D&D 5E, let alone Diablo.
Though I'm not sure what you mean by "contained environments". It's designed to run shorter self-contained adventures instead of sprawling sandbox epics, if that's what you're referring to.

----------------------------------------------------

To the OP, I'm currently running a game of Ironsworn on Roll20, which is a first both in system and platform. It's going rather well so far, but it's VERY different from what I'm used to running.
Also running a Shadow of the Demon Lord game, although that's likely on hiatus until this pandemic blows over. Fairly sure those players have little interest in playing online. There's also a Genesys and Adventures in Middle Earth games I'm participating in at my FLGS, but that's obvious not active at the moment either.

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'm going to use Scum and Villainy to run a Mandalorian-feel Star Wars campaign for my boys. We looked at Symbaroum too, but the Star Wars thing has such a low buy-in reading-wise it seemed like the obvious choice. We have embarked on a SW marathon to help us get ready.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases