BESM (d20 or Tri-stat)

fireinthedust

Explorer
I was looking at a game over in the PBP forum, talking about these rules.

Now, I've got a copy of the Tri-stat and the d20 version, both the Stingy Gamer version of the rules. I've tried reading through them and, whether it's the writing or I'm just not paying enough attention to them... I just can't see how they fit together.

Like, the d20 version says they can put the d20 D&D classes together with points... but I don't see how standard spellcasting fits in with the structure of the game, which is similar to Mutants & Masterminds.

Anyone actually used it?

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I logged in today just to give my answer on this topic. Tri-Stat, definitely Tri-Stat. While BESM d20 does have some nice ways to jury-rig BESM into D&D, some of it just doesn't work as I'm learning while putting together a D&D game with a pinch of BESM d20 (CP values, Attributes, Defects, and only about 1 skill, while everything else is D&D). The short version: Tri-Stat is simply more flexible.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Note that BESM d20 isn't meant to be used with standard BESM. When they talk about putting together the DnD classes, they mean for BESM d20, so you can use the standard DnD classes alongside Magical Girls and Martial Artists and what-have-you.

What BESM d20 does, is bolt on the BESM system to DnD, basically. With mixed results.

Yora

Legend
I have the tri-stat version and it seems quite okay. But the d20 version seems to be almost universally hated. Havn't seen it myself though.

After glancing at this thread I did some online research, since I have a friend that I've thought for a while would love this game.

It seems like the Third Edition Tri-stat version of this game is currently impossible to find a copy of (unless you want pdf). Is that an indication of how well-received the game was? If so, I might have to put it on my future wish-list and keep an eye out for it.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Guardians of Order went under while they were working on BESM 3E. I think White Wolf (or one of their imprints) was who actually released it.

What that tells me is that it was popular enough that people wanted to see the 3rd edition even if the original company had gone belly up.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I never actually got to play using BESM d20, which I think is a shame, because I really wanted to put it through its paces.

At the time I got it, I'd been wanting a "point-buy d20" for a while, and was already familiar with BESM Tri-Stat, so the system looked pretty good on paper.

Of course, since then I've seen a few other d20 point-buy systems, and found one that works for me (Eclipse: The Codex Persona), but I still miss being able to give BESM d20 a chance.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
[MENTION=6677017]Sword of Spirit[/MENTION], I wouldn't say "hated" so much as I'd say "doesn't quite live up to expectations".

What I do personally hate are the BESM d20 classes themselves. Especially because some of them should be represented by other things such as race or attributes.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I played Tri-Stat. It's a fun game beer-and-pretzels game to me, something to run a one-shot every now and then, but nothing to do a campaign with. That's me though. I'm sure that others really like it for campaign play.

For the d20 version, I can't tell you, I never bought the book.

Remove ads