• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BESM d20 Revised

Walking Dad

First Post

BESM comes from a philosophy of "if [some attribute] is more valuable in your campaign, the GM can/should increase its cost." Basically, BESM as a whole relies more on a "relative" value (how valuable an attribute is in comparison to other things) as opposed to an "absolute" value (a feat is worth .2 CR).

People approach point-based systems with an expectation of absolute value; no value judgement is being made on this, it's just the way gamers tend to be. d20 itself is also concerned with "balance" of various elements, which means that the potential audience is already primed to be analyzing a system in terms of its balance.

I don't think this is a problem with gamers, but with really bad balancing. If one pays points from the same pool for less, that is annoying.

This makes for a couple of strong hits against BESMd20, with its more relative-based points system combining with an unclear math basis for d20 in general. BESMd20 further complicated things for themselves by switching things to skill-based combat; while it might be a selling point for some people, it's not leveraging the strengths of d20 as a system.
They also tried to make it more free-form and less miniature dependent (like a defense penalty for multiple attacks, instead of flanking).
Overall, I find the system to be a solid and workable base but default BESMd20 isn't a system I'd run. It's got a lot of the usual stuff I don't like about d20 with additional complications by changing things to be skill-based but using d20's skill-setup which is less than ideal in my opinion.
Sadly, it isn't that workable and it becomes worse than you look at their design philosophy in their 'Deconstruction' part of chapter 5.
The wizard and intelligent hero pay more for skills each level because they are intelligent...

Although the number of Character Points assigned to each class to
reflect Skill knowledge is usually not affected by the characterÕs potential
Intelligence score, Wizards are the exception. Since they are the only class
with Intelligence as the primary Ability Score Ñ and thus will usually
have a high Intelligence Ñ the number of Skill Points they gain each
level more closely represents the (4 + Int modifier) progression than the
(2 + Int modifier) at which they are rated. As a result, their level
progression includes an additional 0.5 Character Points/Level associated
with their high Intelligence bonus for Skills.
So, a fighter has strength as his main ability... should he pay more for his BaB?

They also didn't realize that the modern classes already include the feat and skill bonus from the human race. These are removed if you play a non-human, as you can see in the Arcana SRD / source book. :(

To be small is a 3 pt advantage. The same as Immune to disease, death, necromantic effects. Immunity to crits only costs 2 pts.

I guess the ultimate expression of the weakness of BESMd20 is in looking at the BESMd20 Monstrous Manual. It basically takes a bunch of the SRD critters and then shows what they're like point-wise using BESMd20's system. That in and of itself isn't bad, it's actually pretty groovy.

The problem is the logical and natural leap of "[x] number of points is equal to [y] CR."

The CR system of d20 is already slightly contentuous, with many on the internet saying it's completely worthless and showing how they can break the system. The fact that the SRD critters that everyone relies on for their monster books aren' correct (see Cooper's Corrected Creatures for a product that actually tries to make them all correct), as well as the fact that there hasn't been an official CR system (other than Upper_Krust's attempt to codify it) makes for a somewhat shaky foundation to begin with. When you combine the slightly foggy CR system with the more relative nature of BESMd20's point system, you can easily wind up breaking things.

It's not an insurmountable difficult, it's just something that needs to be explicitly recognised by a GM or designer looking to use the BESMd20 system and then addressed explicitly in some fashion.
Totally agreed.
BESMd20 is based in a large part off the SASd20 rules. The interesting thing is that M&M has never really caught the flack for "balance" that BESMd20 did. There's a number of potential reasons as to why that is, but it's simply worth keeping in the back of your mind when you hear criticism about BESMd20.
This is maybe, because M&M is actually better balanced than BESM d20...

As I see it, there's a few different ways of addressing the potential problems of BESMd20's point system. The simplest is to explicitly call out in the text what the "base assumptions" of the system is and explicitly acknowledge that A) a point-based system can be abused, and B) the purpose of the point-based system isn't to enforce "balance" but rather try to ensure that class/power choices are roughly aligned with each other.
A) that this point buy system is easily abused.
B) actually I think the idea behind different costs for different things is because of balancing.

In terms of balance, HERO, FUZION and M&M also enforce other ceilings how can you buy specific traits to avoid putting everything in one big trait.

Afterall, lots of d20 proponents immediately jump on the "classes are balanced relative to each other" sort of bandwagon; it shouldn't be too hard to convey the fact that the point system used is an extension of that.
d20 classes (at least in 3.5 and Pathfinder) are not balanced.

Another potential solution is to simply rework the points cost themselves. BESMd20 kinda made their lifes more difficult by trying to limit the number of points etc when they did the point breakdown for classes. I think this particular blinder might have pulled them up short in trying to cost things, because they bought into the idea that classes were all roughly equal and it was only stuff like magic that was really unbalancing things.
This was done here:
BESM/Mecha D20 System Resource Document be SethBlevins
And remember what I said about the similarities between it and M&M. M&M does have some tighter design I think; this means that you can take a look at some of the problems and solutions faced by M&M folks and back-port them to BESMd20. 1st Ed M&M is of the same era as BESMd20/SASd20, so problems/solutions are most likely going to be found there. Some of the design solutions for 2nd Ed M&M might be applicable, I don't know. 1st Ed M&M was criticised for being "too similar" to the original d20 system and that was something they explicitly moved to change. Frankly, I think that staying closer to "baseline" d20 and incorporating fixes/changes/additions from there is a better approach; you're better able to leverage player/GM system mastery, as well as being able to tap into more relevant advice regarding problems/solutions in the d20 system.
This is completely true. Sadly, it is easier to adapt the M&M powers to BESM d20 that to re-write all 'Attributes'.

I tried something similar to the first one in the link below, but ultimately realized the second was much easier to do. Biggest problem is to rewrite the damage save mechanic back to HP for the powers:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...ng-open-gaming-license-supers-d20-modern.html

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
I don't think this is a problem with gamers, but with really bad balancing. If one pays points from the same pool for less, that is annoying.

I agree. One thing I am looking at is sanity in costs.

They also didn't realize that the modern classes already include the feat and skill bonus from the human race. These are removed if you play a non-human, as you can see in the Arcana SRD / source book. :(

I am pretty sure they did realize it and simply failed to note that in d20 Modern there is no "pick a race" step.

Totally agreed.

To an extent, and M&M has its own issues. Still, a variant M&M is a possible fallback plan.

No offense, but I'll disagree. Popular convention is that people expect/demand that a point system be absolute. There is no actual requirement that it be so, simply that the audience be informed as to the nature of the point system in the first place. BESMd20 does so.

The fact that D&D/d20 fans don't _like_ it could be considered a problem in terms of actually identifying your _audience_; pretty clearly they missed the mark in terms of brad appeal to the d20 audience. But it doesn't automatically equal "bad balancing" or bad design; it's simply a different design assumption. Not everyone plays the game the same way, despite the rules being "the same" for everyone.

They also tried to make it more free-form and less miniature dependent (like a defense penalty for multiple attacks, instead of flanking).

I'm not sure if you're citing this as a fault or a virtue, or simply commenting. :)

They did try and reduce the miniature dependency. This is a bad thing as far as many d20 people are concerned but not all of them.

Sadly, it isn't that workable and it becomes worse than you look at their design philosophy in their 'Deconstruction' part of chapter 5.
The wizard and intelligent hero pay more for skills each level because they are intelligent...

So, a fighter has strength as his main ability... should he pay more for his BaB?

A number of the choices made in BESMd20 I think reflect the base operating assumptions behind Tri-Stat. That's not a defense of bad d20 design, simply a lack of understanding about some of the more intricate bits of the system I think. Although to be honest... every single d20 system has a problem with it. CR system doesn't work, something. Period. Not a defense, just a reminder that it's not like there's games without flaws, BESMd20's just happens to be closer to the surface. :)

To be small is a 3 pt advantage. The same as Immune to disease, death, necromantic effects. Immunity to crits only costs 2 pts.

Yup. I'm guessing you're using this to point out that A) There are design errors and B) You don't agree with the value of things. Can't argue with either of those points. M&M now being on its 3rd edition could be viewed from an angle indicating that it's got flaws too. :)

*shrug* Opinions vary. As I said, comparing BESMd20 to 1st Ed M&M you'll actually see an awful lot of similarity. The fact the M&M has evolved into 3 editions now is a function of the company staying around and modifying/evolving their rulesystem to account for changes/expectations/problems. GoO went under so BESMd20 doesn't have the benefit of that evolution.

A) that this point buy system is easily abused.
B) actually I think the idea behind different costs for different things is because of balancing.

In terms of balance, HERO, FUZION and M&M also enforce other ceilings how can you buy specific traits to avoid putting everything in one big trait.

Ok, so really again it's a philosophy thing. These systems are explicitly accounting for people attempting to gain power and they legislate limits on this within the rule system. BESMd20 and all the other GoO games (Tri-Stat based) have this to a lesser degree and explicitly rely on the GM to provide a greater balance point. As I recall, BESMd20 actually does have a ceiling, it's just not the same as the other games. I'll dig around and see if I can pull the reference, as I remember seeing it and thinking "Gee, you really need to make that more explicit"; it's possible though that I'm remembering it from a different book.

No point-based system is immune to being gamed. Period. For better or worse, GoO recognised that and choose to explicitly include advice about shifting point costs to account for things being more/less valuable depending on the game. M&M certainly has a bit that mentions GMs explicitly banning combinations, so... *shrug*

d20 classes (at least in 3.5 and Pathfinder) are not balanced.

Actually, you'll get argument about that. A quick experiment: start a discussion talking about increasing a Fighter's damage output to match a caster's. Watch the overwhelming tide of opinion be about how "unbalanced" that is, etc.

There's a strong belief that the classes are "balanced". Casters are weak in a bunch of areas and spells are what allow them to make up the difference.

This is an argument that's been going on for years. Now, I personally happen to subscribe to the belief that the classes aren't in fact equal or balanced. But that doesn't change majority opinion.

Another thing to note, is that a lot of people _like_ that imbalance. It's a fundamental reason they stay with 3.x. I remember seeing plenty of bits of people talking about how they didn't like 4E because everyone was so "balanced" they were basically the same; in other words, there was less room for optimisation and everyone was fundamentally on the same playing field.

Having a "balanced" system is important, but _where_ those balance points are varies quite a bit, both in terms of the "average" 3.x player/GM as well as the specific game system in question.

I'm aware of that, although I haven't extensively gone through it. The problem I have with it is the same problem I have with a lot of things... how did you come up with the point cost?

I'm a big fan of Upper_Krust's CR System. It does suffer from the flaw of "how exactly did you come to this conclusion?" but there's 2 fundamental strengths to using it. One, is that the analysis is focused directly on the monsters, which is what characters are usually going up against. Two, it's possible to look at characters in rough relation to monsters using it. Because the system is monster focused and then looks at PCs in conjunction with it, it's "easier" to come to a place where you say "this is balanced in relation to that".

The flaw a lot of systems have is trying to figure out a system for the classes and then if you're lucky, they'll look over at the monsters. This is the critical flaw BESMd20 does in the Monstrous Manual.

It's not that BESMd20's system is completely broken, it's that it was made with a character-centric focus and failed to account for non-character stuff. It's trying to be compatible with other d20 products and it can't because it's actually coming from a fundamentally different expectation than the others are.

M&M on the other hand... my understanding is that opposition is fundamentally expected to use the point system of M&M; that right there eliminates a number of hiccups.

This is completely true. Sadly, it is easier to adapt the M&M powers to BESM d20 that to re-write all 'Attributes'.

I tried something similar to the first one in the link below, but ultimately realized the second was much easier to do. Biggest problem is to rewrite the damage save mechanic back to HP for the powers:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...ng-open-gaming-license-supers-d20-modern.html

I'm sure that this entire post of mine looks... ungracious. Like I'm an apologist for BESMd20 or something, especially since I say "but M&M says something similar" several times.

BESMd20 _is_ a system with flaws. They're not impossible to deal with, but you _must_ be clear what it is that you're wanting before you can address them.

If you want an "absolute" system, yes M&M is better. It explicitly expects people to try and game the system and tries to put limits on that behaviour, while including the standard "GMs can disallow anything" clause (often referred to as Rule Zero).

BESMd20's flaws are very apparent because on the d20 side of things, there really was only one other "competitor"... M&M. And M&M successfully tapped into its audience in a way that GoO failed. Some of it was design, some of it wasn't.

I've _looked_ at the points cost on stuff between M&M and BESMd20; they're really not _that_ far apart. I've got a sheet kicking around with a rough "equivalancy" between M&M and BESMd20 Attributes. It's interesting to see how close things are. I believe it's 1st ed M&M though, so likely the costs have shifted and changed over the past 7 years since it originally came out.

M&M wins on the details. BESMd20 went a lot of the way, but failed to have a solid foundation. M&M does have that foundation. One advantage BESMd20 does have though, is it _tried_ to stay compatible with d20 after a fashion. The Monstrous Manual, the class breakdowns... these are tools that someone looking to try and use the system can tap into. Flawless? Heck no. But it's a starting point and one that's much easier than simply looking at a blank page and trying to figure out where to go.

Fix the BESMd20 costs? You've got a cascade effect. You need to double-check the critters, see what's changed, etc. For some people that might be as much work as simply doing the creature writeup in the first place. To me, it's still easier.

Oh and the other critical thing of importance?

OGC.

You need to come up with an M&M license, which may or may not be a problem for folks. Power Points are IP and therefore off-limits. BESMd20 (or the Anime SRD more specifically) has its analogue to Power Points (Character Points) that aren't locked down.

Is BESMd20 a flawed game? Yes.

Is it "badly balanced"? No. It has a fundamentally different design assumption which must be accounted for. Individual costs of things need to be adjusted, but that's true of any system that relies on points; what a BESMd20 game needs is to ensure that for someone operating in an "absolute value" assumption, there are tools in place that match that. The lack of those tools in the base BESMd20 game speaks to the designer's bias and assumptions, just as much as explicitly expecting people to optimise a character and placing limits on it speaks to another set of biases and assumptions.

In other words:

It's all a matter of perspective. It can be annoying to find out that what you're working on has been designed from a different perspective, but that doesn't make it objectively bad. Simply not the right tool for the desired goal. Make sure expectations and goals are aligned with design bias and you'll avoid a number of problems and also see the solution to others.

pawsplay

Hero
I'm kind of excited to see that BESM d20 can still stir emotions of any kind. As I said before, I didn't even realize notice it until GoO was a puff of smoke. At the time, I was more upset over the end of Silver Age Sentinels Tri-Stat to really notice the GoO d20 games which I had turned my nose up at. I was all, "If I want to play BESM, I'll get the real thing." But of course, as it turns out, BESM d20 is more interesting as a way of interfacing with d20, rather than as a way of playing with BESM, which brings me to where I am now.

M&M 3e is very impressive, and it makes some much-needed rationalizations. At the same time, I don't really like some of the changes. I haven't decided yet to sell my 2e stuff; to some extent I am still burned by switching from Star Wars d20 RCR to Saga, which I ended up regretting a lot. Not keen on eliminating most negative traits and treating them as Complications. Annoyed that the "useless attributes" problem has gotten worse; no one really needs Charisma or Fighting, much less Intelligence.

Walking Dad

First Post
Scurvy-Platypus, your post was very long and detailed, I will refrain from quoting it and answering in detail, but here are some points:

- Rule Zero is expected to be used in every RPG. IMHO, it is a sign of good game design, if it is only needed sparingly.

- What is the purpose for different point cost, if not balancing? What is a reason for a non-absolute Point-Buy system?

- The failed class deconstruction is unconnected to CR.

- Assumptions from Tri-Stat: Tri-Stat works actually better and uses PMVs to modify Attributes. This option isn't part of BESM d20.

- I would really appreciate, if you can point me at the power ceiling rules.

- I like balance, so I will always argue for it ;)

- The BESM d20 rules may be character centric, but there are also the greatest 'mistakes' (Attribute costs, etc).

And now some points regarding BESM d20 vs M&M:

- In M&M 1, each 'effect' costs 1 PP. Powers add their 'effects' and add 1 PP surcharge. This is much more systematic than BESM d20.

- Neither BESM d20 nor M&M are compatible with the 3.5 or modern SRD. But IMHO, the more systematic structure of M&M makes it actually easier to backward engineering it to make it compatible.

- The names/words 'Hero Points' and 'Power Points' are IP. Hero Points is a bit difficult, as Paizo used the same name for points with a similar effect (they are all derived from the UA 'Action Points') and made them OGC...

And just replace the term 'Power Points' with 'Building/Character Points' in the text and the rules chapters of M&M become fully OGC.

Not keen on eliminating most negative traits and treating them as Complications. Annoyed that the "useless attributes" problem has gotten worse; no one really needs Charisma or Fighting, much less Intelligence.
Complication:
I really like the change. It is annoying for a DM to hit the right frequency for the occurence of an 'uncommon' flaw, much more so in PbP. And if you ignore it, you just gave out free PP. With the new system, players don't try to avoid their flaws as much, because they gain HP when they are triggered.

Useless attributes:
Nearly no game has use fr all attributes for all characters. It hasn't become worse since M&M 2.
If you ignore fighting, you pay the same cost for melee attack advantages or skills and for parry defense.
Charisma is still needed if your character should be charismatic and I didn't liked that high intelligence in 3.5 let you learn quicker how to swim, tumble and climb.

Scurvy-Platypus, your post was very long and detailed, I will refrain from quoting it and answering in detail, but here are some points:

Heh. I do tend to go on at times. :) Since I've the luxury of time at the moment, I'll go ahead and address your points...

- Rule Zero is expected to be used in every RPG. IMHO, it is a sign of good game design, if it is only needed sparingly.

Rule Zero is a surprisingly contentious thing. How a person deals with it is... *shrug*... well, personal. I won't expound really on this other than noting your point.

- What is the purpose for different point cost, if not balancing? What is a reason for a non-absolute Point-Buy system?

I think we got a crossed wire somewhere. Yes, altering point cost is a function of balancing, especially given that the book specifically addressing modifying it if necessary to better suit the particular game being played. I'm not quite sure where you're going with the point, so I don't know how to respond. I know I'm not saying that BESMd20 is _unconcerned_ with balance; it's just looking at "balance" from a slightly different perspective.

As for the reason for a non-absolute Point-Buy system?

Well, one thing that immediately occurs to me is the issue of "Attribute [x] is overpowered because [fill in the blank]!" You see stuff like this all the time in regular d20 conversations with someone declaring how this or that character class has an overpowered ability because they can abuse it and produce some sort of wildly off the chart result from the games base assumptions. This is followed by other posters showing up and going "Hmmm. Not disagreeing with your point, but... it's never been a problem in my game."

People have a tendency to treat rule texts as "fixed" (unalterable) unless there's an explicit out given; Rule Zero is usually the recourse of the GM at that point, which is one reason why it's included. But as mentioned it's also contentious. A relative point-based system allows for the GM to easily say, "The game has been balanced with [this] expectation in mind. However, for [whatever reason] I'm going to change the cost of [offending attribute] because that is going to lead to a game I like running better."

Another reason is an explicit "dial" for tuning the game. By having a relative system, people are more likely to play around with things in the game to produce something closer than what they might have. For example, maybe they want to promote a more aggressive game, they'll lower the cost of attacks, or alter the cost of defences. Or certain types of things (like magic) are made more expensive, to reflect running a "lower magic" setting.

The issue of something like a "lower magic" setting is critical. This forum is lousy with people complaining about the power assumptions of D&D and wanting to run an S&S-style game or "low magic" or "gritty"... it's a popular sub-type of game that's been a part of rpgs for more than the 2 decades and some odd years I've been involved in rpgs. Talk about it in D&D (3.x or 4E) and you'll have a whole chunk of people to talk about the problems systemically with doing that and how to try and account for it; that's because the game carries a built-in assumption and no dial for dealing with it. Relative point-buy is one way of doing so; it might be a poor way in some people's opinion, but it is an option offered that many other games don't explicitly give.

The relative point-buy suits designer bias better in this case. Note: the following opinion is not intended to start an argument regarding playstyles. It's intended to illustrate 2 very real approaches to characters, without passing a judgment as to which is better.

Opinion: People have 1 of two methods for designing characters. They have an explicit idea ["I wanna play a character like Rogue from the X-Men!"] or they decide on a particular theme/set of abilities and then "backfill" a character in terms of history etc. A sort of "top up" vs "top down" design, much like how GMs approach worldbuilding.

The designer of Tri-Stat and BESMd20 has a very "relationship-based" sort of approach to rpgs. GMs are explicitly supposed to be working with players to produce a type of game, there's a greater shared responsibility, instead of it resting solely with the GM etc. The rules are laid out with an expectation that players will _not_ try and abuse them, because it's understood that _any_ rule system can be abused in the first place. In cases where abuse is possible to occur, then the expectation is the GM will step forward and draw a line.

d20 on the other hand comes from a position where the rules are legislating both player and GM behavior. This isn't necessarily a bad thing or an unneeded thing, it's simply a fundamentally different expectation.

- The failed class deconstruction is unconnected to CR.

Actually, this complaint isn't limited to just BESMd20. As far as I know, no system designed using the 3.x rules is actually explicitly connected to CR. It's a fundamental weakness of most 3.x systems to begin with: the character system is not really related to the same system used for opposition. That's what I was trying to get at earlier.

3.x has the conceit that monsters can be given class levels. Ooooo, everyone's excited. Even now, a decade later it's still more common for critters to have class levels than it is for templates to be used.

The problem of course is that characters and monsters _aren't_ equivalent, regardless of crap like ELC and people's jumping through hoops to justify it. Monsters are theoretically built with an expectation that 1 creature is capable of using up 20% of a party's resources, said party being 5 person. The problem comes from the design assumption that people are going to try and abuse the rules, which explicitly limit character resources; monster's abilities are generally resource-free and therefore within the designs of 3.x and the sensibilities of most people playing/running the game those abilities are stronger in the hands of players.

M&M gets around this problem I believe in a few ways.

1. It's not focused on fighting "the other" in the same way that D&D is. D&D is about killing things and taking their stuff. Most things are "monsters" even if they're intelligent humanoids, so it's ok to engage in genocide. M&M on the other hand is more about supers fighting, which has a number of conceits, such as not killing villains, most of the opponents are "humans" (even if they have bumpy foreheads) instead of mindless beasts, and of course, they're fighting people of equal or even slightly greater capability.

2. The opposition is basically built using the same system as the PCs. This introduces a fundamental degree of parity that's lacking in other 3.x system.

M&M doesn't tie into the CR system, it completely ignores it. That works for what it wants to do, but it does have the consequence of completely ignoring decent chunks of 3.x material that might otherwise be compatible.

3. A fundamental design aspect of 3.x is limited resources. M&M uncaps this significantly, which is also in keeping with supers style. Characters aren't focused on that zero-to-hero crawl, which is an obsession with most people that play D&D; characters starting incompetent and then gaining skill.

M&M characters are Han Solo, starting off bad-ass and mostly staying that way with minor change.

D&D characters are Luke Skywalker, starting off pathetic and eventually reaching a point of ... well, whatever.

This is both a design of the games, as well as a focus of playstyles by people that _play_ those games. If you wanted, you _could_ start a D&D game at 10th level and never level up. Just acquire gear or whatever. Hell, it's common enough in plenty of books that gamers like to read; characters in those books not really changing, just going off and having adventures of one sort or another.

But I've never heard of people actually running a D&D game like that. Even E6 which is a large step in that direction is usually advocated by people intent on limiting character power (trying for a "gritty" or "low magic" game) and still features a whole series of capstone feats or somesuch intended to still increase the power but in their own idiosyncratic way.

All of which is why I'm personally somewhat leery of things like Complete Control, Buy the Numbers, Eclipse: Persona Codex, etc. Or an attempt to "rebalance" BESMd20. They're not explicitly (or at least not obviously to me) looking at the fundamental system that characters are engaging in (creatures built using the CR guesstimate of WotC and others) and then balancing it in relation to an explicit version of that system. Instead they're messing around with balance in relation to other classes/abilities and combat which may or may not be "accurate" due to playstyle and optimisation skills.

Which, like I said before, is one reason why I'm such a fan of Upper_Krust's CR system. I'm not sure how exactly he derived the numbers, but... I'm not super-concerned about the exact nature of the derivation either. What's important is that he looked at CRs and the creatures using CR, and developed an explicit system that was intended to reflect the design assumptions of those creatures. In some cases, it means some creatures (like dragons) have the "wrong" CR, because the capabilities of those creatures is in fact in excess of the rest of the CR system.

Using UK's CR system, it's possible to look at a class and what they get and at least approximate what that class' capabilities are in comparison to not only what they're going to frequently face (monsters relying at least partially on the CR system) but also other classes.

The problem of course is that it's just plain hard work and the reward for doing it is pretty minimal as far as most people are concerned. Especially since you'll eventually run into the deliberate imbalances that exist and have to make a decision regarding how to deal with that.

- Assumptions from Tri-Stat: Tri-Stat works actually better and uses PMVs to modify Attributes. This option isn't part of BESM d20.

Yes and no.

BESMd20 is built from SASd20. There are some differences between the two, but they're substantially the same. One thing that didn't get moved over into BESMd20 is PMVs. They do however exist explicitly within the OGC of SASd20.

Now, wanna know something interesting?

My 1st Ed 2nd Printing copy of M&M's OGL declaration only lists the SRD and of course itself in the copyright section; that's section 15 where you're supposed to list the copyrights of products used in your game, for folks that aren't OGL nerds.

My copy of M&M Pocket Player's Guide (which is 2nd Ed rules) lists SASd20 in its section 15.

So, strictly speaking, you're right PMVs aren't in BESMd20 by default. They do however exist in SASd20 and while there are some differences between the two, my casual comparison between the Stingy Gamer's Edition of both of them hasn't shown that there'd be a substantive issue with pulling over the "missing" bits from SASd20 to BESMd20.

And those rules are OGC baby.

- I would really appreciate, if you can point me at the power ceiling rules.

So I went looking and as a part of default BESMd20, I don't see ceiling rules. I don't see them as part of SASd20 either. The limitation that they appear to have is that CP are being handed out explicitly and in limited quantities, unlike M&M which just gives you a big ol' chunk of 'em and tells you to go wild.

SASd20/BESMd20 are appear to be relying on the nature of the game being a class/level based one to keep things capped.

So, where'd I come across it?

There's a BESMd20-derived fantasy game called "Everstone"; I'm a huge fan of it and I've gone on about it before. Anyway, the way the classes are constructed there's a chunk of 5 CP given every level. Page 44 of the book says, "Remember you cannot have any Racial or Class Attribute higher than 3 because there is a limit of purchasing 1 rank per attribute per level." The character starting level is 3, so that's an internally consistent reminder.

It's a logical attempt to try and limit things and introduces an effective ceiling like you're talking about, but I don't seem to be able to find an actual BESMd20 source for that rule. It's not entirely surprising since the game does deviate from base BESMd20 in a number of respects.

So yeah, looks like BESMd20 has dropped the ball in terms of providing an explicit ceiling like M&M; they're instead relying on the class structure to try and keep things capped.

- I like balance, so I will always argue for it ;)

Fair enough. It's just that "balance" isn't an immutable term; it's at least partially in the eye of the beholder.

- The BESM d20 rules may be character centric, but there are also the greatest 'mistakes' (Attribute costs, etc).

Yup. I suspect that some of it is "copy/paste" syndrome, which is something that's popped up in some games that are 3.x based. BESMd20 and SASd20 have been built in a large part from the Tri-Stat rules and descriptions which were then ... translated?... across to the d20 system. In the process, I think some things didn't get altered like they should have been and lack of d20 system mastery resulted in what we see.

And now some points regarding BESM d20 vs M&M:

- In M&M 1, each 'effect' costs 1 PP. Powers add their 'effects' and add 1 PP surcharge. This is much more systematic than BESM d20.

Fair enough. I've never played M&M so I can't really comment on what the design philosophy was in the first place. Conversations about "converting" a d20 character into M&M have _always_ resulted in people basically saying "you really can't, you'll need to rebuild the character" so... I dunno. BESMd20 and SASd20 were explicitly trying to tap into (and be compatible with) the d20 system.

M&M on the other hand was looking to take the d20 system and do something _different_ with it. There's other super games before M&M, they just don't register in most people's memory.

So SASd20/BESMd20 and M&M sort of arrived in a similar place, but from different origins and with different goals. In retrospect, M&M's has the greater degree of system coherency, but I think I can understand how/why BESMd20 wound up the way it did.

- Neither BESM d20 nor M&M are compatible with the 3.5 or modern SRD. But IMHO, the more systematic structure of M&M makes it actually easier to backward engineering it to make it compatible.

I'd disagree. As I mentioned above, BESMd20 was explicitly looking to be compatible, while M&M was explicitly looking to move away from it. One of M&M 1st Ed criticisms frequently was that it was "too much like D&D". There was a distinct anti-D&D crowd that adopted M&M and that combined with flaws in the 3.x design made it easy for M&M to evolve further away from the 3.x base it started with.

BESMd20 also explicitly has gone out of its way to try and provide information to allow people to reverse-engineer other d20 things into the BESMd20 system; especially when you look at the other books like BESMd20 mecha. Monstrous Manual, and Advanced Magic. Now, there's flaws within the BESMd20 products stemming from some of the design assumptions (as we've already covered and both agree on I think), but for all their flaws those tools are still there.

M&M doesn't have a conversion of SRD critters, nor does it address the issue of 3.x spells really. Sure, there's fan stuff but in terms of "official" whatever... you're told "build it yourself" and given some vague guidelines. Now, the world of 3.x games isn't just critters and magic, but it's taken a long time for M&M to even address vaguely what BESMd20 addressed quite early and far more substantively.

And of course that also means that M&M is able to look at the mistakes made by others (like GoO) and theoretically avoid making them. One of the dangers in being first is that if you screw up, you become a "baseline" with people pointing to your screwups and how someone later avoided it.

- The names/words 'Hero Points' and 'Power Points' are IP. Hero Points is a bit difficult, as Paizo used the same name for points with a similar effect (they are all derived from the UA 'Action Points') and made them OGC...

And just replace the term 'Power Points' with 'Building/Character Points' in the text and the rules chapters of M&M become fully OGC.

Yup.

Personally, I like to go as close to the source as possible; I'd rather avoid Pathfinder if I can just go to an earlier source and use from that instead. So I'd just go with Action Points from UA and call it good. But that's personal preference and in this particular case it's partially born of the fact that I actively dislike the implementation of almost all the Action Point systems I've seen used for d20; yes, that includes Trailblazer.

I know that philosophically we're sitting on rather different ends of the spectrum Walking Dad. I don't expect to "change your mind" or "prove you wrong" or anything like that. You've your preferences and opinions and I've got mine. My main goal in responding as I have is to try and show a counter-point to a common enough perspective, given that BESMd20 is almost always and forever in the shadow of M&M.

At the end of that day... *shrug* ... like I said, 1st ed M&M and BESMd20 (especially SASd20) have a fair amount of similarities. From a design perspective, M&M is more inline with a number of assumptions and expectations of the general d20 audience, regardless of whether that d20 audience likes or hates D&D specifically. There really isn't a "good" reason for choosing BESMd20 over M&M when looking explicitly at system concerns. Skill-based combat is the really big difference between them.

From a publishing perspective, you probably would be better off just sucking it up and trying to get an M&M license, as you'll at least have an audience; M&M is active and liked, whereas BESMd20 is "unsupported" and actively disliked by many of those folks that know about it, which is rather small these days. Walking Dad's posts really kinda illustrate it; most people aren't interested in BESMd20 and using it is going to be a stigma unless you're very aware of what you're trying to do and how you get there.

I'm personally using BESMd20 for my projects, for a number of reasons. Given that what I want to do and achieve is "niche" in the first place, I'm not going to be trying to make money off of them in the second place, and I'm introducing a fair number of core changes in the third, I'm not particularly concerned about the parentage of my stuff.

pawsplay

Hero
Complication:
I really like the change. It is annoying for a DM to hit the right frequency for the occurence of an 'uncommon' flaw, much more so in PbP. And if you ignore it, you just gave out free PP. With the new system, players don't try to avoid their flaws as much, because they gain HP when they are triggered.

I don't really worry about giving away three points or whatever. I think it is difficult to figure out when to award a Hero Point based on a Complication like, say, Partial Deafness. And it's hard to distinguish Complications from power modifiers, sometimes... even for the designers. Captain Marvel is listed as the Alternate Form example in DC Adventures, but his character sheet just treats it as a Complication.

Useless attributes:
Nearly no game has use fr all attributes for all characters. It hasn't become worse since M&M 2.
If you ignore fighting, you pay the same cost for melee attack advantages or skills and for parry defense.
Charisma is still needed if your character should be charismatic and I didn't liked that high intelligence in 3.5 let you learn quicker how to swim, tumble and climb.

I meant useless for ALL characters. Your Fighting is completely arbitrary, since the derived stats cost the same (and are easier to fit to PL limits). Intelligence is usually over-costed unless you are one of those rare characters who uses multiple Int skills, but then again, if you have multiple Knowkledge skills, then it's a bargain and skills are overpriced.

Charisma... does nothing. You don't need it to "be charismatic" because it doesn't do anything other than set your skill modifiers. In D&D at least there were a few Cha checks here and there, but there really isn't any such thing in M&M 3e.

Walking Dad

First Post

My copy of M&M Pocket Player's Guide (which is 2nd Ed rules) lists SASd20 in its section 15.

So, strictly speaking, you're right PMVs aren't in BESMd20 by default. They do however exist in SASd20 and while there are some differences between the two, my casual comparison between the Stingy Gamer's Edition of both of them hasn't shown that there'd be a substantive issue with pulling over the "missing" bits from SASd20 to BESMd20.

And those rules are OGC baby.

Can someone confirm what is OGC? My copy lists a font type for OGC stuff, but this is IMHO the font used on the tables and sample character sheets.

You still miss my character class deconstruction concerns. It is still bad if you completely ignore CR. There are mistakes in the math decisions (higher skill cost for intelligent classes, for example.

BTW, yes. I think we disagree philosophically. Still nice to do this online without ending in insults. Very appreciated. I really like the GoO stuff, but the needed group specific balancing (you need to redo the point cost with your group etc.) isn't for me :)

Walking Dad

First Post
I don't really worry about giving away three points or whatever. I think it is difficult to figure out when to award a Hero Point based on a Complication like, say, Partial Deafness. And it's hard to distinguish Complications from power modifiers, sometimes... even for the designers. Captain Marvel is listed as the Alternate Form example in DC Adventures, but his character sheet just treats it as a Complication.
I just give a HP the hero suffers because of his complication (not every attack, but a general HP for fire-vulnerable hero fighting a fire wielding villain).

Cap Marvel is IMHO a bad example for an alternate form hero. The complication is very fitting.

I meant useless for ALL characters. Your Fighting is completely arbitrary, since the derived stats cost the same (and are easier to fit to PL limits). Intelligence is usually over-costed unless you are one of those rare characters who uses multiple Int skills, but then again, if you have multiple Knowkledge skills, then it's a bargain and skills are overpriced.

Charisma... does nothing. You don't need it to "be charismatic" because it doesn't do anything other than set your skill modifiers. In D&D at least there were a few Cha checks here and there, but there really isn't any such thing in M&M 3e.

You should think of your fighting derived 'sub-traits' and raise fighting to the lowest one. It helps to indicate the general fighting capability.

For Charisma... you don't need to be strong either (perfect viable strength 8 characters with a level 12 Blast power). Or have a high Constitution (just by Fortitude and Protection).

I agree that the skill cost is to high. I think they didn't want to have different costs for combat and non-combat skills (the cost makes sense for the combat skills).

pawsplay

Hero
I just give a HP the hero suffers because of his complication (not every attack, but a general HP for fire-vulnerable hero fighting a fire wielding villain).

So for partial deafness, do I get a Hero Point when I make a check to hear something? Or whenever it might be useful to do so? Etc.

Cap Marvel is IMHO a bad example for an alternate form hero. The complication is very fitting.

Actually, thanks to his Enhanced Abilities, it would be very simple.

You should think of your fighting derived 'sub-traits' and raise fighting to the lowest one. It helps to indicate the general fighting capability.

Except it doesn't. You just pick a number equal to or lower than a sub-trait. You could make it -1 and still be the King of Fighters, if you wanted.

For Charisma... you don't need to be strong either (perfect viable strength 8 characters with a level 12 Blast power). Or have a high Constitution (just by Fortitude and Protection).

That's not what I'm talking about. You don't need Charisma to be charismatic. -- Actually, it's called Presence now. So as I was saying, PRE +1 costs 2 points. +1 with Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion costs (3 x 1/2 =) 1.5 points. It is always cheaper to raise those three skills. And you know what? Again, there is no penalty for a low PRE. You could have PRE -1, all three skills at +13, and you would never have a single problem.

Having a blast and a low STR is a different issue.

If FIG, CON, PRE, CHA, and INT have no independent functionality, why have them at all? More to the point, why are INT and PRE such rotten investments?

So, yeah. M&M 3e, pretty cool game, but not the tightest balance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads