• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best 1st Level 4E Adventure

Cryndo

Explorer
I haven't played 4E yet, but a few of my friends are interested in giving it a go. Since I know the rules the best (I've read them), I will be the DM.

I'm looking for an adventure for first level characters that can springboard a campaign if we decide to continue with 4E.

Any ideas for me?

darjr

I crit!
I've admired Sell Swords of Punjar from afar. I just picked it up and I really like it so far. I like the whole roof/ground floor thing.

deadsmurf

First Post
I really like the quick delve adventure in the DMG, it shows off a lot of cool encounters. The story is completely basic, but totally can be embraced in it's basic D&D tropes.

Inyssius

First Post
I've got to say that, although only a particularly effusive loon would call it THE BEST ADVENTURE EVER, the first-level lair in Open Grave features the best 4e hook I've yet encountered: at least one of your players is working a contract as a freelance "resurrectionist"; that is, someone who procures suitable dead people (usually via illicit means, though preferably not with a knife) for study and for use as instructional aids by medical colleges and the occasional inquisitive wizard.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

We really enjoyed Sellswords of Punjar too. It's not perfect - the map is a little small for the tactical movement that happens in 4e combat - but it's great fun and easy to fit into a city campaign. There's also a cool underground river which I expanded.

There are some Story Hour posts in the "Notes for a New Campaign City" thread in my sig - try the last 2 or 3 pages.

Cheers

Richard

vagabundo

Adventurer
I remember some grumbling about a goodmans adventure <i think> that was not GSL and suffered for it.

Was it Sellswords? It doesnt seem likely considering the glowing impressions above.

Jack99

Adventurer
I remember some grumbling about a goodmans adventure <i think> that was not GSL and suffered for it.

Was it Sellswords? It doesnt seem likely considering the glowing impressions above.

None of them are GSL. And while some (one of them myself) was annoyed at first over the new monster names etc etc, it really turned out to just be something you have to get used to. If one could say the first GG adventures suffer from something, it's being conversions (ie, they were written for 3.5, but just not published yet). They are still better than KotS and the other 3PP adventures out there. That's not to say that they can't be improved upon.

Just IMO, ofc

vagabundo

Adventurer
None of them are GSL. And while some (one of them myself) was annoyed at first over the new monster names etc etc, it really turned out to just be something you have to get used to. If one could say the first GG adventures suffer from something, it's being conversions (ie, they were written for 3.5, but just not published yet). They are still better than KotS and the other 3PP adventures out there. That's not to say that they can't be improved upon.

Just IMO, ofc

Ahh my memory did not fail me. It's odd, I know - or I think I do, anyway - that Goodman Games have signed up for the GSL as they are producing the Book of Rituals. Maybe they could re-release these adventures as Revised with GSL updates.

Not sure why I'm that concerned, as I said the impressions seem very positive.

Remove ads