D&D 4E Best 4E module?

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Once again, I'm really disappointed that Wizards decided to get rid of the forums. There was a subforum for the D&D Encounters program, and several of those modules had some really good extensions/modifications/variants, which in some cases were provided by the authors themselves. There was a lot of good material there, about rare 4E modules, that is gone forever.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Once again, I'm really disappointed that Wizards decided to get rid of the forums. There was a subforum for the D&D Encounters program, and several of those modules had some really good extensions/modifications/variants, which in some cases were provided by the authors themselves. There was a lot of good material there, about rare 4E modules, that is gone forever.
Probably not gone forever. We had a lot of notice and a bunch of people (myself included) moved stuff to other sites. CharOp got moved here by me for example. I am pretty sure someone else moved the Encounters material. You just need to hunt around to find it. Do you recall the name of one of them?

JEB

Legend
Maybe some of it was preserved on the Internet Archive? You would need the forums' old URLs, though...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think I found it here? Or maybe here?

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I think I found it here? Or maybe here?
Yeah. I haven't mentioned the D&D Encounters program, because frankly a lot of the 4e modules for it weren't the best ones they made. They were designed to introduce players to 4E in the store, and support weekly play. I ran all of them from March of the Phantom Brigade on.

When the forums were deleted, I was one of the people archiving threads on other forums. Sadly, I'm sure there's a lot that I missed.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
My overall favorite module for 4E was from Dragon (online) Magazine called 'The Last Breaths of Ashenport". The reason being there was a lot of plot and story to the town and scenario that was not combat-focused, not a string of combat encounters one after the other. Mystery solving and exploration of the town and the interactions with the populace within were plentiful and necessary to figure out what was happening. The reason for this is that I think I heard it was an older edition adventure at some point that got updated to 4E, which would explain why it seems a bit of an outlier amongst a lot of the adventures in online Dragon Magazine at the time. I mean, you just through a lot of those 4E adventures and they are literally just three sets of Dungeon Tile map layouts each with a line-up of monsters you're expected to wade through. And the story of the adventure is "Here's the reason to go to this location" and then after you've killed those three maps worth of enemies, you get "Here's the McGuffin you succeeded in acquiring". 4E adventures that WEREN'T like that seemed fewer and farther between.

Have you considered Kobold Hall?

There is also the Twisting Halls, from the Essentials Red Box.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I played through and enjoyed the Ashes of Athas living campaign as it was released. Some of those modules may fit your desires.

One LFR Battle Interactive - I forgot the name; the plot summary is 'break into a Netheril fortress and rescue a future-seer' - very nicely scaled down from the normal roomfull of tables to just two. Instead of 'army storms castle' it felt like 'special forces / James Bond infiltrates fortress'.

Remove ads