D&D 5E Best 5e Adventures for Kids v Adults

Jack Hooligan

Explorer
So, I find myself getting ready to run two different groups through 5e. One is made up of three adults, the other four middle school kids and one other parent. The kid group halfway through with Mines of Phandelver and I plan to continue them into Storm Kings Thunder. When SKT is over...I'm not clear which is another young friendly adventure. Tomb of Annihilation looks a lot of fun with the dinosaurs, goblin stacks, zombies, etc...but also very lethal. I'm not sure the kids will be into that level of character fatalities. So, I'm thinking maybe I do ToA with my adult group. Am I wrong?

I also don't want to run both groups through the same adventure as even though that would save on prep time, it would be boring for me to GM I think. I want to experience multiple adventures if I'm running multiple games.

Of all the 5E adventures which should I reserve for my adult group and which for the kid one?

delphonso

Explorer
ToA is fun for those of us with a lot of DnD experience - I think it would give an incredibly bad impression to either group if they're new. For the kids, I would have them run it as different PCs - perhaps any NPCs which annoyed them earlier so they have a deathwish going in, and let them know that it might end after a single session.

I think Dragon Heist works best with kids who are more willing to follow a teleporting mcguffin. Adults might get annoyed easier.

aco175

Legend
I'm looking at running the Essentials box set. If you are able to set up Phandalin with the first group from LMoP, you have the players bring new PCs back for the 2nd. The younger players may like that they know some of the people and places. In my first group, they were rebuilding the keep after the campaign and the next campaign even visited them.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
There are parts of Hoard of the Dragon Queen that are kid-friendly. Sneaking around outside the Hatchery, and the flying ice castle come to mind. They might like saving the townsfolk in Chapter One or might not. Some of the "On the Road" scenes are good seeds for "tell me a campfire story". If the kids like secrets, play up the telescope on top of the swamp castle. Other parts are not fun or the goal is pushed just out of your reach or are just a slog to get someplace else.

Re: Tomb of Annihilation
Probably drop the Death Curse for the kids. They might like exploring the jungle (show an Indiana Jones movie and/or Jurassic Park for atmosphere) but the Tomb itself is a Death Trap. Maybe the kid group could locate the Tomb and call for the adults' group to go in? The kids might like to 'play' with King of Feathers outside. As a different campaign, they could do Pirates of the Carribean Chult Coast. The abandoned(?) dwarven citadel can be a "We're rich!" climax to the campaign, especially if moved near the pirate cove. The dragon turtle will 'smell it out' if they bring back lots of loot and want a share.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Sunless Citadel is pretty good. Opportunities to make alliances and a few fun NPCs.
Sunless Citadel is also a good intro adventure in that it's basically a single tube that they players will follow from the beginning of the adventure to the end (it doesn't look like that to the players, probably, but it's pretty obvious as the DM). Also, every group should eventually meet Meepo.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Tomb of the Serpent King is a fantastic D&D introduction adventure, but it sounds like you moved beyond that. Perhaps the Stygian Library?

Essentials Kit and Starter Set are both good for kids AND adults.

Princes of the Apocalypse and Dungeon of the Mad Mage are probably kid-friendly.

There's a 5E adventure called "Haunted Halls of Hazakor" on drivethrurpg that's specifically written for kids. It's a professional-quality adventure developed by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. It has a sequel, too. Together, I think they go up to level 10.

Remove ads