D&D 5E [+] Best advice for running Theater of the Mind...

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Since it came up in another thread, here's a new thread about running D&D 5E in Theater of the Mind.

Oh great Dungeon Master hivemind...what's your best advice for running good theater of the mind combats?

Best books, blog posts, videos, tips, tricks, advice, suggestions...anything that's positive and meant to be helpful is welcome.

Note this is a [+] thread. Keep you naysaying to yourself.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
AD&D and earlier editions of the game are excellent teaching tools for running TotM. While it's true that these editions measure most distances in inches (assuming the use of a ruler to measure distances on the tabletop ala wargames), they also make "fuzzy math" conversions to game world equivalents on the fly much easier, IMO. This is partly because they are far less concerned with precision measurement and partly because they aren't at all concerned with spatial dimensions (e.g. squares on a battlemap). In point of fact, almost NONE of the groups I played OD&D, BD&D, or AD&D 1e/2e with EVER used tabletop measurements (there was one group that used weapon reach measurements, but even these were converted to game world equivalents).

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
Does it count as theater of the mind if you note down some interesting zones on note cards that creatures can move between? Pure theater of the mind has often caused confusion for my players, but the aforementioned zone notecards, or an evocative non-gridded battle at where we don’t measure out things in five foot increments, tends to go well.

I’ve taken a lot of ideas from Mike Shea in the past, and I think his advice tends to be solid. Sly Flourish's Guide to to Narrative

Shiroiken

Legend
Be generous with what the players want to do. The players have only what you tell them to work with, while you've got a good idea in your mind. If something obviously won't work, or is just a terrible idea (such as becoming surrounded), tell them and allow them to change their action.

I've added the keyword Engaged to indicate who they're in melee with for Opportunity Attacks. This helps track who's fighting what and is threatened.

Use the suggested number of potential enemies from the DMG for AoE effects. This is really useful to quickly decide what the PCs can affect, but remember that other PCs might be in the area too (check for the Engaged keyword above).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
When adjudicating Area of Effect attacks for spellcasters... a good rule of thumb just to save time and energy is to assume the caster can target at barest minimum 2 enemies in the effect,but that hitting 3 or 4 is completely okay. You never need to let them try and convince you they can hit every enemy on the battlefield at once obviously (unless they are in a very special and rather obvious circumstance, like crowded together or a ledge or something)... but letting them hit on average 3 or 4 (depending on blast radius) should be an easy and typical allowance. Worrying about enemy locations on the battlefield and trying to visualize where they are in relation to each other is just trying to play to the grid without actually having one.

TL;DR: AoEs can hit 3 enemies, with more or less targets depending on the circumstances.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I left TotM behind a long time ago, but VTT brought it back to me. Well, that and playing games not D&D. What I found is getting a really good image to set as the background. Something that springs forth the imagination on the current situation. If you are in a dungeon try and find some images online of one that looks particularly relevant. Wilderness, urban, monsters, etc...

Here is a few examples,
A swanky palace
1661345788467.png

A volcanic region
1661345850640.png

A rebellion
1661345892019.png

A tavern
1661345963310.png

I'll pop up these images and the group will go from there. Combat done entirely TotM but images help set the scene.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Be generous with what the players want to do. The players have only what you tell them to work with, while you've got a good idea in your mind. If something obviously won't work, or is just a terrible idea (such as becoming surrounded), tell them and allow them to change their action.

I've added the keyword Engaged to indicate who they're in melee with for Opportunity Attacks. This helps track who's fighting what and is threatened.

Use the suggested number of potential enemies from the DMG for AoE effects. This is really useful to quickly decide what the PCs can affect, but remember that other PCs might be in the area too (check for the Engaged keyword above).

I think "be generous/flexible" is the biggest key - and that goes for not just the DM but the players as well. Everyone has to accept that theater of the mind is just a less tactical game. That's doesn't mean NON-tactical, but LESS tactical. In particular, tactics that rely on a shared hyper-specific understanding of EXACTLY where everyone is positioned aren't going to fly.

Above all, you need a collective buy-in with regard to the table's expectations that the game will be narrative and cinematic and not involve a lot of specificity with regard to 5 foot squares.

As a DM, you may have to allow players to walk back stuff if it turns out that there was genuine misunderstanding about the spatial situation. And if the spatial situation really matters, then as a DM you need to verbally communicate the facts of the environment very clearly.

I tend to think of combat in "zones" of Engaged, With 30 feet, Within 60 Feet, Within 90 feet.

In the end, you may grow to really appreciate that TotM tends to lead to a faster and more flexible game. But everyone needs to buy in. And the style needs to be consistent. Positioning can't be hand-waved 80% of the time and then suddenly become super important the other 20% of the time.

Art Waring

halozix.com
While I currently run 5e based games, I have played in quite a number of RPG's that don't use minis and don't have a grid of any kind, at least we never used them. You can learn a lot however, by how these games are run at the table:

-As some others mentioned, visual aids work well, even if they are just for you the GM to get into the mindset and the setting.

-Keep things moving forward: with too much going on it can be easy to lose your place or get distracted. Sometimes using a handy prop (even if its in game) to designate who's turn it is and what is happening can encourage that player to feel like they are "in the spotlight."

Our groups running joke is an old rusty axe, I threw it into one of their very first piles of loot years ago. They pass it to one another in game, kind of like passing the torch from player to player. I literally had no influence on this, the players just latched onto it and its become a running tradition in our home game.

During lock down. We played full theatre of the mind. We were using Discord and Messenger to play. I am particularly allergic to VTT gaming. I paid for books, I don't feel to pay full price for something digital that I already have. I can scan my own books and make a PDF by myself. Did it with my PHB, DMG and MM. Takes a bit of time, sure, but quite useful.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
We couldn't afford (lead) miniatures when we started gaming and the "5' grid" wasn't a thing yet, so "theatre of the mind" was less gimmick and more just what you had to do.

Advice: let go of combat grid movement.

It'll open up an entirely new way to game, though it does put an onus on the DM to fairly visualize what everyone is up to. But by unchaining miniature-based combat, you can get dynamic combats only limited by imagination and make up effects for terrain, wind, etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases