OD&D Best Classic Adventures?

I have it for 5e. But I don't think this group of players particularly likes megadungeons.
Do megadungeons even work in Basic/OSR? Like, I would think the entire game mechanic of combat, rest, recovery would breakdown very quickly.
All mega dungeons started in OD&D and were later adapted for AD&D. That is why so many adventures of "basic" D&D could be played with AD&D without modification. The reverse was not true however...

Retreater

Legend
All mega dungeons started in OD&D and were later adapted for AD&D. That is why so many adventures of "basic" D&D could be played with AD&D without modification. The reverse was not true however...
I started in the hobby with 2nd edition AD&D, so I missed out on 1st edition and BECMI. I tried running Saltmarsh several years ago with OD&D characters (I think from Swords and Wizardry). The power level didn't translate well. So I'm going to be extra cautious about Basic characters going into AD&D modules.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Can't believe you all missed L1 Secret of Bone Hill, which IMO is one of the best-designed old-school adventures out there.

A couple of others worth taking a look at (though they're a bit costly if you don't already own 'em):

B-10 Night's Dark Terror - useful if you want a setting as well as a long adventure series; not so useful if you're trying to shoehorn it into an existing setting.
Dark Tower (by Judges Guild) - gonzo as all hell!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I started in the hobby with 2nd edition AD&D, so I missed out on 1st edition and BECMI. I tried running Saltmarsh several years ago with OD&D characters (I think from Swords and Wizardry). The power level didn't translate well. So I'm going to be extra cautious about Basic characters going into AD&D modules.
Even so, assume there's going to be a high-to-very-high lethality level in any case and warn your players accordingly.

Then have at it! :)

If you want to go that way...
Castanamir's lost island. Baltron's Beacon. Ghost tower of Inverness. The temple of elemental evil. Scourge of the slave lords. GDQ 1-7 Queen of spiders. The latter three are super modules and could link together to make one hell of a campaign. But my all time favorite is and will always be Horror on the hill. This is the first adventure I ran as a DM along with B2. Yep even then I had two groups...

How old does something need to be 'classic'? I liked the 4e Keep on the Shadowfell.
It was not bad, but it had a few problems of its own. The 3ed line was much better with the Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury and the others. Nightfall Spire was really fun too. The higher level ones were ok and did not have the little bits of inconsistencies the 4ed line had. Linking the 3ed ones together was almost too easy. Not so with the 4ed ones. But I did have a lot of fun running those with my players.

Remove ads