Best "core only" UMD build?

hanniball

First Post
Darklone said:
Think about one level of barbarian or fighter (dashing swordsman :D) or two or three levels rogue to begin with, it doesn't keep you from maxxing UMD but goes a long way to help out your overall effectivity. Or perhaps a paladin/bard :D

Paladin/Bard? Core-only, I don't see how that's feasible.

Edit: I suppose you could tack a couple Paladin levels onto the end of the build, but you'd lose your ability to progress any further in Bard...

Klaus

First Post
Bard is where it's at. High-Cha, all the right skills are core skils (note that Knowledge isn't a class skill for rogues), bardic music helps UMD checks ("Use... Use... Use... Use that Magic Device"), plus you get a spell list that will let you bypass the need for a UMD check for some very handy spells (cure wounds wands, I'm looking at you).

Human bard 1 with 15 Charisma, maxed UMD, Magical Aptitude and Skill Focus (UMD) has +12 on UMD checks to begin with. At 2nd level, when the synergies kick in, the modifier will be +13 (+15 with scrolls). By the time you reach 4th level, you'd boost your Charisma and get +16 (+18 with scrolls). Factor in bardic music and eagle's splendor and you're looking at +20 easily. Since skill checks have no automatic failure, there'll come a point where you won't even have to roll, beacuse even a 1 will net you a success.

Lamoni

First Post
Klaus said:
Since skill checks have no automatic failure, there'll come a point where you won't even have to roll, beacuse even a 1 will net you a success.
That is true, I just thought I would emphasize that when a roll of 1 does NOT net you a success, it has consequences
SRD said:
Try Again: Yes, but if you ever roll a natural 1 while attempting to activate an item and you fail, then you can’t try to activate that item again for 24 hours.

Diomeneus

First Post
i know its never really taken and they aren't terribly useful but don't forget about the skill focus feat. Thats another +3 UMD on any of these builds right there. I guess it really depends on how badly you need UMD

Kurotowa

Legend
Iku Rex said:
You can't Take 10 with UMD. Skill Master lets you Take 10 "even if stress and distractions would normally prevent [you] from doing so", but "stress and distractions" aren't why you can't normally Take 10 with UMD.

Really? Hmph, teach me not to check the online SRD first. I assumed it worked the same as the "Take 10 on UMD" abilties that Warlocks and Artificers get. But if the Rogue's Skill Mastery doesn't let you do that, then yeah Bard is probably best. You get a caster level for use with Staves, which is always handy.

Shadeus

First Post
Klaus said:
Human bard 1 with 15 Charisma, maxed UMD, Magical Aptitude and Skill Focus (UMD) has +12 on UMD checks to begin with. At 2nd level, when the synergies kick in, the modifier will be +13 (+15 with scrolls). By the time you reach 4th level, you'd boost your Charisma and get +16 (+18 with scrolls). Factor in bardic music and eagle's splendor and you're looking at +20 easily. Since skill checks have no automatic failure, there'll come a point where you won't even have to roll, beacuse even a 1 will net you a success.

ranks = 4
Cha = +2
Magical Aptitude = +2
Skill Focus = +3

That's +11. Am I missing a +1 somewhere?

Remove ads