Best d20 Seafaring reference?

devilish

Explorer
Hi all,

Well, the characters boarded a caravel last week and I wanted some high-fluff/crunch
seafaring material. Looking for d20 rules on sailing, ship-to-ship combat and boarding,
nasty weather, the works!

I flipped through Stormwrack in the store and was a bit disappointed in the 5 pages
or so on ships and ship travel I found --- it seems to be more water/underwater spells
and combat and prestige classes/races. I'm looking for more -- pdf's are fine.
Something that would have the difference in firing cannon balls v. chains v.
grapeshot(I've been playing lots of Pirates!) -- while medieval in setting, I'm
not opposed to later century references.

Many thanks!
-D

PS If you also want to recommend non-d20 sailing stuff, that'd be cool too ;)
but I'm primarily looking for rules.

Last edited:

Kindgoms of Kalamar: Salt and Seadogs, The Pirates of Tellene is a pretty good resource. While there's setting specific information, it is adapted easily enough. Lots of information on ship-to-ship combat, costs and benefits for ship modifications, both magical and non-, magical ships, equipment, and lots and lots of ship types.

Edit: Lots on ballista and catapults (including chain and grapeshot), but cannons are not used in the setting. Still, the ammo rules are a good starting point.

Pinotage

Explorer
I think Seas of Blood and the Seafarer's Handbook has some stuff that you might find useful. Seafarer's Handbook pdf is currently on sale at Drivethrrpg.com for $5.

Pinotage

Henrix

Explorer
I'd advice against Seas of Blood, frankly. I found the rules shoddy and the book as a whole lacking in knowledge about seas and sailing. Some good ideas about nonhuman ships, perhaps.

Psion

Adventurer
Seas of Blood is the workhorse Seafaring book I get the most use out of. It has good usable material like ship templates, and a great integrated ship combat and mass combat systems.

I like Stormwrack's take on skills a bit better, and like its prestige classes, races, and adventures.

Book of the Seas has a good selection of nautical magic and I find its nautical adventure generator nice.

Kenzer's Salt and Sea dogs is also very good, especially where character supporting material is concerned.

Broadsides probably has the most authentic analyisis of seafaring topics like navigation.

dougmander

Explorer
Har, drop anchor and get yer hooks on Corsair: The Definitive d20 Guide to Ships -- it has the best balance between realism and playability.

JimAde

First Post
Corsair from Adamant Entertainment has what you're looking for, I think. It has detailed rules for ships, ship combat, the effects of different kinds of shot, etc. It also has rules for repairing your ship while underway, handling crew morale and LOTS of other stuff. It rocks.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=3755&

EDIT: *Shakes fist* Curse you Dougmander for being succinct! You posted while I was typing! :)

Ghostwind

First Post
I favor Broadsides! by Living Imagination. It's one of those jewels that a lot of people have either forgotten or don't know about. I use my copy quite a bit.

Remove ads