• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best d20 Supers game?

Best d20 Supers game?

• Mutants & Masterminds, duh!

Votes: 79 94.0%
  • Silver Age Sentinels, citizen!

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Some other system the OP hasn't heard of!

Votes: 4 4.8%

Boarstorm

First Post
I was leafing through my collection of RPGs and happened across an old d20 Supers game, and it got me thinking that it might be fun next time my group decides to take a break from fantasy to dip our toes into the Supers pool.

But, my players are picky as hell, so I figured I'd better go with the strongest system, and I seem to recall at least one of these supers systems got slammed pretty hard in reviews, and since I've never actually sat down and PLAYED either of them, I figured I'd ask around.

So what do you consider to be the best d20 Supers game out there? Which edition (if the game in question has more than one)? Why?

Defend your answers! :)

Farmer42

First Post
If you want d20, the Mutants and masterminds 2e is your best bet. I personally think HERO is a stronger system, but it isn't d20.

Mamacat

First Post
I've got to go with Mutants and Masterminds, hands down. Why? Because it's the one I have the most fun playing AND running. :D

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It was a no-brainer for me- M&M.

I've looked at and/or bought several D20 supers games, including The Foundation and the D20 version of SAS, and am trying to track down a copy of Aberrant D20.

But as a HERO-phile and lover of D&D 3.X, I find M&M to be evidence that RPGs can reproduce.

It uses basically the same mechanics as all other D20 games, but does so in a manner that approaches HERO in flexibility.

Simply put, I've never had a PC concept (of any genre) I couldn't model in HERO, and M&M comes closest to that in the D20 family.

Doug McCrae

Legend
I've played Silver Age Sentinels d20 and it's a bit crap, not as good as the Tri-Stat version.

HERO is a monster. It can do almost anything but takes a lot of taming. And you may have to divide a number by 1.75 during character creation.

Everyone seems to like M&M these days. That must mean something. I've not played or run it yet but I really, really should.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads