• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best DUNGEON modules, any edition, to convert to 5th?

Wik

First Post
So, I run a campaign that is mostly centred around old modules from Dungeon magazine. We're about to end our current adventure, and head into Dwellers of the Forbidden City, but after that, it's open territory.

I was wondering if anybody had recommendations for good adventures from Dungeon magazine? Preferably 5th level and beyond, but I don't mind beefing up lower level modules if they're really good. I've got many of the magazines, and for good recommendations, I don't mind shelling out the ten bucks or so on amazon to get one I don't have.

epithet

Explorer
Age of Worms gets rave reviews. I'm DMing the Shackled City at the moment, and the Savage Tides looks good as well. Those are all 1-20 adventure paths published over a 12 issue run, written by some of the best in the biz.

Also, the Scales of War is well reviewed.

pukunui

Legend
I recommend:
- "The Crypt of Istaris" (Dungeon #9; reprinted for 2e in Dragon #155)
- "The Moor-Tomb Map" (Dungeon #13; Dungeons of Despair compilation)
- "The Lady of the Mists" (Dungeon #42)
- "Them Apples" (Dungeon #48; Chris Perkins' first adventure!)
- "Melody" (Dungeon #48)

Age of Worms gets rave reviews.
I'm playing in this campaign right now and personally I think it sucks. The individual adventures are OK, I suppose, but the overarching plot is bad. I suppose it could just be the way the DM is running it, but it feels like the PCs have no agency. We don't seem to be able to affect the plot in any way. We spent one whole adventure exploring a jungle ruin and it turned out the only reason was to learn the BBEG's backstory through a series of weird flashback visions. And then in another adventure, we found a piece of the Rod of Seven Parts ... but it turned out to be the bottom piece, so we couldn't use it to find any of the other pieces, so we ended up just trading it away for some more useful magic items. One of the more recent adventures consisted of an evil princeling's freak show of a party that we had to attend in order to be able to speak to some important NPC who, of course, arrived late and then said "We can't talk now". Talk about jumping through hoops! Blargh. So far there have been no real surprises, and I'm pretty sure there's nothing we can actually do to stop the BBEG short of fighting him to the death when he appears right at the end of the AP. Am I right?

Last edited:

Murkmoldiev

First Post
Prisim keep Dungeon 45 and Chadranters bane Dungeon 18 . Both are very good.
The 1st and 2nd ed adventures convert very very smoothy. 3rd ed and pathfinder adventures are a nightmare and the FEEL
of them is differnt as they are designed with a differnt IDEA or FEEL than 5th ed and so roll out differntly.
I have Extensive conversion notes of Chadranthers Bane if you want them PM me .

Wik

First Post
There are a few recommendations I've already looked at, which is great! Means we're on the same page (I am referring to Crypt of Istaris and Chadranthar's Bane).

My personal favourites so far (I don't have issue numbers on me, I'm afraid):

* "Keep for Sale". First level PCs clear a dungeon and buy a bargain basement keep. Goblins abound!
* "Mud Sorcerer's Tomb". Tomb of Horrors for fair GMs.
* "Chadranthar's Bane". PCs get shrunken and fight GIANT rats. And are just tiny!
* "Vesicant". Green Dragon pirate king.
* Plus there's a cool one whose name I forget that involves a dungeon that's a deck of many things.

pukunui

Legend
The great thing about the Mud Sorcerer's Tomb is that it got an update during the playtest. You could use that and just plug in the finished versions of the monsters (and tweak any that don't have official stats).

As for the Crypt of Istaris ... I'm planning on running this for my group, but I can't decide whether to keep the built-in time limit or not. Time limits can be fun, and the threat of the whole place blowing up on the PCs could be neat, but I feel like they'd be inclined to rush through it as a result, and there are just so many fun little details in the place, I think I'd like to give them the time to fully explore the crypt.

Last edited:

ranger69

Explorer
I have just finished running my group through "Tears for Twilight Hollow" from Dungeon 90. It's co-written by Angel Leigh McCoy & Christopher Perkins. Very good scenario for four by 7th but easily adaptable

pukunui

Legend
I'm liking the look of the "Dungeon of the Fire Opal" from Dungeon 84 (also featured in the "how to play" sections of the 1e and 3e DMGs, or so it says) and "Wedding Bells" from Dungeon 89. The latter is a fun little adventure involving an evil harpy. The main focus is on showcasing what commoners think of adventurers (which can be good or bad depending on how the PCs act while in town for the wedding).

meomwt

First Post
I had a blast running Dragon's Delve by Christopher Perkins (Dungeon issue 62) as part of an on-going storyline, but it is generally stand-alone. I think the inhabitants are fairly easily to convert from 2E.

I also think I DM'ed The Amulet and the Underdark from Dungeon issue 75 (or if not, stole wholesale from it), and used the location from Khazefryn (Dungeon Issue 81), if not the whole thing. Both of these are set in the Underdark.

Depths of Rage from Dungeon issue 83 is pitched as a 3rd level adventure for 3E, but adding goblins (and making their leaders a bit harder) might ramp up the challenge appropriately. I did a bit of foreshadowing for the major twist, so the players didn't feel like it was a complete cheat!

Finally, Dungeon 112 - Maure Castle by Rob Kuntz. Never had chance to run this one, but it still wears its Old-School origins on its sleeve.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
From BXCM D&D: X2 Castle Amber
From 1E: C2(?) Ghost Tower of Inverness (actually, the C series in general)
I3-5 Desert of Desolation
GDQ Series - Against the Giants,Vault of the Drow,Queen of the Demonweb Pits
A1-4 Against the Slavelords
From 3x: Vault of Larin Karr
What Evil Lurks

Remove ads