Best Fantasy Mecha rules?

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Iron Kingdoms has its steamjacks, but those are more in the giant robot catagory. It also brings us the dreaded Iron Lich, a brain-in-a-jar with style!

Von Ether

Legend
LOL! I still bump into people who refuse to believe that White-Wolf is "involved" with d20. How could those angsty whiners do any[/] good DnD stuff!

Aeric

Explorer
I have all three books, but I've only read through d20 Mecha. D20 Mecha is like the old Mekton Zeta construction system--it provides only the base mechanics for everything. If you have an idea in your head of what you want your mecha to be like, this is a great system. You can build pretty much anything you can imagine with it.

On the other hand, if you're looking for something a bit more specific at the cost of unlimited flexibility, Doomstriders and DragonMech might be the way to go.

I have mecha in my own campaign (which will be run next year). They are necromantic constructs, huge undead made from the corpses of titans. These undead are armored and have a chest cavity where the controller sits. They're more like enormous ride-along flesh golems than true mecha, but the latter will be created as a way to combat these constructs.

The next generation will see mecha replace the mounted knight as the elite noble warrior.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
My friend and I were batting some world-construction ideas back and forth between us for a mecha-heavy goblin nation - heavily inspired by the presence of a steam-powered goblin-piloted mecha in Labyrinth, yes.

We found the d20 Mecha SRD very useful.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Dragon Mech has a lot going for it.

Doom Striders could've been a contender as it looks good but actually creating something runs into lots of little problems here and there.

Mech d20 by Guardians of Order and the excellent resource, d20 Mecha Compendium, have seen some use in my campaign. I used the smaller suits like Iron Man armor to help the weaker characters survive a few encounters that they shouldn't have but didn't get into the bigger mecha.

Vaxalon

First Post
I can't talk about Dragonmech, but I have Doomstriders, and one of the things I really like about it is that the physics behind them is nothing like "real world" physics. They're powered by magic, not steam power or anything we'd recognize on Earth.

Remove ads