Best Feywilds Adventures?

thanson02

Explorer
Hey everyone.

So my group just got done with an adventure and there was talk about heading to the Feywilds next. As the DM, I am up for it, but I don't know much on what adventures I should run them through. So, I figured I would ask around.

What do you think is the best Feywilds Adventure for 4E?

Balesir

Adventurer
That kind of depends what level the PCs are. We had some fun in the Feywild at Paragon levels; an ambush in a fey town (when I realised that pretty much all of the inhabitants could short-range teleport, turn invisible or reaction-shift - the ambush started in a bustling marketplace and by the end of the round the PCs were alone there with the attackers :devil: )

So - what level are we talking?

D'karr

Adventurer
There have not been many, to my recollection, that used the Feywild as a backdrop. There was Beyond the Crystal Cave (WotC). This one is a D&D Encounters adventure which might not fit the bill for what you are looking into (lower level & Encounters format). On the flip side it was written by Chris Sims and Steve Townshend who were two of the best 4e adventure guys. There was also Courts of the Shadow Fey (Open Design), which has a lot of awesome content for encounters and intrigue between the shadow fey and is an awesome adventure but it is a bit higher level than what you mentioned, and is really located in the Shadowfell rather than the Feywild. But any of that can be easily amended. It just depends on how much work you are willing to do, and how closely you want to steer to the WotC frame for the Feywild.

However, there have been some good resources that can be used to give depth to the fey realms and create your own adventures. Of course Heroes of the Feywild (WotC) has a lot of good content to be used as inspiration for creating the Feywild. There was also Nevermore (Expeditious Retreat Press) which is a setting book for the Realms of Dreams and Nightmare, which I have freely mined for many ideas for the Feywild. And you can also check Rodney Thompson's treatment of one of the important sites in the Feywild, Mithrendain.

I have adapted many things for use in the Feywild as my group has been heavily involved in that location since about sixth level. Among other sources of inspiration for my Feywild campaign I've used Labyrinth, Legend, Wizards, Fire and Ice, The Dark Crystal, and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind just to name a few.

Last edited:

Elboe

Explorer
Feywild Codex

The Neuroglyph Games website has a post of compiled Feywild information, including the books where the information comes from with page numbers. It is titled The Feywild Codex: Archfey, Demesnes, & Other Oddities. There are a few adventures listed, mostly from Dungeon. I have not ran any of these.

Also, the first adventure in the Tomb of Horrors 4e hardcover is Garden of Graves, a 10th level Feywild garden. It looks interesting to run.

There have not been many, to my recollection, that used the Feywild as a backdrop. There was Beyond the Crystal Cave (WotC). This one is a D&D Encounters adventure which might not fit the bill for what you are looking into (lower level & Encounters format). On the flip side it was written by Chris Sims and Steve Townshend who were two of the best 4e adventure guys. There was also Courts of the Shadow Fey (Open Design), which has a lot of awesome content for encounters and intrigue between the shadow fey and is an awesome adventure but it is a bit higher level than what you mentioned, and is really located in the Shadowfell rather than the Feywild. But any of that can be easily amended. It just depends on how much work you are willing to do, and how closely you want to steer to the WotC frame for the Feywild.

However, there have been some good resources that can be used to give depth to the fey realms and create your own adventures. Of course Heroes of the Feywild (WotC) has a lot of good content to be used as inspiration for creating the Feywild. There was also Nevermore (Expeditious Retreat Press) which is a setting book for the Realms of Dreams and Nightmare, which I have freely mined for many ideas for the Feywild. And you can also check Rodney Thompson's treatment of one of the important sites in the Feywild, Mithrendain.

I have adapted many things for use in the Feywild as my group has been heavily involved in that location since about sixth level. Among other sources of inspiration for my Feywild campaign I've used Labyrinth, Legend, Wizards, Fire and Ice, The Dark Crystal, and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind just to name a few.

Yeah, Courts of the Shadow Fey is a little ambiguous, they didn't really seem to be following 4e canon at all. The 'Shadow Fey' don't quite match up with anything found in any standard 4e reference. They could be some fey offshoot living in the Shadowfell, or they could simply be a 'Shadow Court' located in a dark shadowy corner of the Feywild. The way the adventure is structured it doesn't really matter, just that it is an 'otherworld' that the PCs are dropped into. It could even be fluffed as a 'domain of dread' if you wanted to play up the more grimdark side of it.

There is an adventure, Dark Heart of Mithrendain in one of the Dungeon issues that wasn't too bad. The social encounters were a bit contrived, but workable. It really needed to elaborate on that side of things more to really pull it all off, and the last part was too much of a linear series of combat slogs, but the plot was decent and it has a lot of encounters, characters, and information about the City that makes it a pretty good starting point. IIRC it was designed for low paragon PCs, so you might have to tweak a few things if you run it at level 8, but it shouldn't be too far off.

You could also just set any of a number of other adventures in the Feywild. Maybe refluff some creatures with a more fey aspect. Give them some charms, illusions, and other tricks to replace their usual powers. Mostly its a matter of fluff and shifting a few more things over to the WILL defense.

D'karr

Adventurer
The Neuroglyph Games website has a post of compiled Feywild information, including the books where the information comes from with page numbers. It is titled The Feywild Codex: Archfey, Demesnes, & Other Oddities. There are a few adventures listed, mostly from Dungeon. I have not ran any of these.

Also, the first adventure in the Tomb of Horrors 4e hardcover is Garden of Graves, a 10th level Feywild garden. It looks interesting to run.

I'd like to see these. Would you provide a link to the compilation post mentioned? I tried the site and get an internal error and the blog does not seem to have anything. I might be looking at the wrong place.

Thanks

thanson02

Explorer

I found Neuroglyph a while ago. Great source!

I forgot about Tomb of Horrors! Thank you. I also just got "King of the Trollhaunt Warrens" and it also has a Feywild theme.

I am still looking for ideas. If people have suggestions, please keep them coming.

Remove ads