• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Five RPG Books You Own

Festivus

First Post
In no particular order:

Spell Compendium - One place to look for spells as a DM is a godsend... well that and the PHB. I regularly read this book, it's great fun looking at all the new spell goodies.

GM Mastery Book I, NPC Essentials by Johnn Four - I love this book. I have read it twice and will read it again. It's full of many great ideas for campaign management, NPC design and roleplaying tips. It is really a great book, I will have to read it again for inspiration. If you like Treasure Tables, this is for you. Johnn, I hope you are seeing this... I want book two! :)

Combat Pad - This is a great tool for running combats. I used to use index cards, now everyone knows when their turn is coming up.

Status Cards - EN Publishing (I think) has these great cards you print out for various statuses. It's really helpful to hand out a card when a player is affected with something. I would add spell cards to this list but I have found that beyond 5th level they become unwieldly and I prefer a printed list.

Magic Item Compendium - Sure, it's full of unbalanced stuff, but you can tweak it all. It's got a lot of great stuff to give to the bad guys.

Honerable mention: Tome of Artifacts - I haven't read too much of this yet, but if you ever needed ideas for a campaign, there are about 30 of them in that book. Full of rich detail for every item, along with campaign seeds and rumors of items. Great stuff, good work to all the authors on that book, and a steal at the price point (it's a HUGE book)

*I would have said Dungeon and Dragon magazines... but there went the best gaming value ever*

SavageRobby

First Post
AD&D DM's Guide - Still the best, most varied and most interesting DM book ever written. I've used things out of this book for a variety of different games for 20+ years, and will probably continue to use it for another 20+. This is simply the best RPG book I've ever owned or read.

Savage Worlds Rules, 2nd Edition - Redefined for me just how fast and easy an RPG system could be, while still being complete (and multi-genre, to boot). Really raised the bar for me on game systems.

Primal Order - Great book on putting Gods into context. I've always wished they'd done more in this series.

Dragon Magazine Archive - A recent acquisition for me and not really a book, but I'd now count this as indispensable. What a great tool. Its incredibly interesting to go through the early issues and read early perspectives, issues and ideas.

Over the Edge - Fun RPG that is equally a fun read. Really opened me up to other styles of RPGs back in the early 90s.

Gothmog

First Post
1. Savage Worlds Revised- the system that can do it all.

2. Deadlands- any edition. The most creative RPG setting I've ever seen, and an absolute riot to read.

3. WHFRP 2- the classic dark fantasy game revisited, and almost flawless in execution.

4. Call of Cthulhu BRP- its a classic, and Lovecraftian horror never gets old.

5. Midnight d20- this is the only D&D/D20 world I've ever read and wanted to run exactly as is. The background is incredible, well thought out, and very atmospheric- the world oozes flavor, and the mechanics take a backseat to the depth and history of the world.

Honorable mentions:

Kult- probably the creepiest and most disturbing horror rpg out there, it still has a ton of innovative ideas that are truly inspiring.

Aces & Eights- incredible product by Kenzer, the most detailed and comprehensive Western setting out there.

Arcanis d20- another truly unique and original world that has incredible depth and intrigue. I especially love the pseudo-Roman feel rather than the traditional medieval themes.

Greg K

Legend
1) Mutants and Masterminds: Mr. Kenson did almost exactly what I said on Monte's boards was necessary, imo, to make a great superhero game using the d20 system as a basis. He then went even one step farther than I thought any one would be willing by removing hit points entirely.

2) True20: I got the pdf a few weeks ago. Upon reading it is, in my opinon, the best class based d20/OGL game. My only disappointment was that it didn't include 3 hybrid class (i.e, Adept/Expert, Adept/Warrior, Expert/Warrior), but the Companion takes care of that (I just need to get it)

Any of the following to round out the top 5
1) Blood and Fists: In my opinon, the best treatment of martial arts rules for d20. One of three third party supplements that made me actually decide to buy d20M itself

2) Elements of Magic-Mythic Earth: How I wish magic in DND and d20 Modern had been done. One of three third party supplements that made me actually decide to buy d20M itself

3) Psychic's Handbook: How I wish psionics in DND and d20 Modern had been done. One of three third party supplements that made me actually decide to buy d20M itself

4) Ultmate Power (a Mutants and Masterminds supplement): Having seen Steve's unofficial version for Marvel Superheroes Adventure Game, I wanted this product back in M&M 1e. Well I had to wait for 2e to get it.

Honorable Mention
1) Shaman's Handbook: Love the treatment on the topic. The format and treatment that I wish WOTC used when introducing new classes.

2) Witch's Handbook: Love the treatment on the topic. The format and treatment that I wish WOTC used introducing new classes.

3) Unearthed Arcana: There is a lot of good stuff in this book (e.g, environmental races, class variants, variant speciaist wizard abilities, action points and weapon groups), but there are also many options I either don't like, thought were not as developed as they should be, or were just poorly implemented. Therefore, imo, it doesn't quite deserve to be in the top 5, but for the stuff I do like it deserves an honorable mention.

4) Complete Thief's Handbook: A 2e product, but I still like this book much better than any of the 3.x class books from WOTC.

5) GURPS Celtic Myth

6) GURPS Vikings

7) Dark Sun: love the setting.

If my collection had not been stolen with my truck, the following would be listed somewhere above because I love how they handle magic:
Ars Magica
Magic in the Shadows (a shadowrun supplement)
Mage the Ascension

Shadeydm

First Post
Gothmog said:
5. Midnight d20- this is the only D&D/D20 world I've ever read and wanted to run exactly as is. The background is incredible, well thought out, and very atmospheric- the world oozes flavor, and the mechanics take a backseat to the depth and history of the world.

Arrrrgh! How could I have forgotten to put Midnight on my list!!

painandgreed

First Post
1. Savage Species - Good expansion for D&D. I've always liked the idea of giving intelligent monsters class levels. Playing monster characters where typical class abilites are replaced somewhat by special abilites makes for an intersting game. This is somewhat taken care of by the new "as a player character" segments int he 3.5 MM, but some of the monster classes as well as feats are a must.

2. PHB II - probably the only other book I really would like to add to core. Fighters need something and this helps them out. Nice selection of feats and other stuff for players or leveled monsters alike.

3. Classic Traveller (now all in one book) - Nice, simple classic game that works. If limited to a few games, it would be one I'd keep.

4. V:tM 2E - I love the system, I like the setting, and most of my friends are interested in playing. Especially without all the other stuff, you could make it into many different things if desired.

5. Unhallowed Metropolis - Steampunk undead killing fun. Can be mostly combat or mostly social, but meant to be a combination. Not out yet (GenCon), and I am biased because I helped work on it, but I wouldn't have worked on it if I didn't like it so much.

kobold

First Post
This was my list -

Aria Worlds- The game system that is barely there I never even read, the system for creating cultures and worlds was above all others and not rules dependent. I’ve used it for every homebrew for the past decade.

The Playtest version of the soon to be released (keeping my fingers crossed) HeroQuest/ Questworlds- The non-world specific version of Heroquest RPG. This is the system that is the Granddaddy of the loose storytelling type rpgs, and it rules them all.

Storm Tribe and Thunder Rebels- All most no system specific information, and the best, easiest reading most detailed fantasy culture and religion books. A delight! Used for playing Storm worshiping barbarians in Glorantha.

1st ed. DMG- Still the best $18 I ever spent. I still have the one I bought about 25 years ago.

Until I remembered Pendragon 4th and it’s supplements, and the faux leather spell compendiums that came out around 2nd ed, and the slave lord modules -add infinitum.
Coming up with 5 is hard!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Additional Honorable Mentions (D20 variants/supplements only):

Spycraft 2Ed (http://www.alderac.com/)
Midnight 2Ed (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/roleplaying.html)
Arcana Unearthed/Evolved
Ultramodern Firearms D20 (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9575.phtml)
Dark*Matter
Urban Arcana
Modern Magic (Green Ronin) (http://www.greenronin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1001&Category_Code=12)
Book of the Righteous (Green Ronin) (http://www.greenronin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1001&Product_Code=grr1015)
Nyambe (http://www.atlas-games.com/nyambe/index.php)
Northern Crown (http://www.atlas-games.com/crown/index.php)

Last edited:

Remove ads