Nebulous

Legend
My top five (in no particular order)

1. 4e DMG 2
2. Ptolus
3. Cthulhu d20
4. 1e Fiend Folio
5. 2nd edition Midnight campaign guide

1) d20 Call of Cthulhu. I haven't played this in years, but I still read portions of it from time to time. The GMing advice is among the best ever written, and the rest of the book ain't nuthin' to sneeze at neither.

2) Monsternomicon. The first monster book that was easy to pick up and read cover to cover, and which, incidentally, I've done more than once.

3) 3e Unearthed Arcana. Somewhere within its pages is a solution to almost every concievable problem with 3.5. Plus, plenty of new options to just play around with.

4) 3e Manual of the Planes. I loved how this book was presented as a bunch of elements for kitbashers to play with. Pretty much everything in it is modular, and well done.

5) Fiendish Codex 1: Hordes of the Abyss. My favorite pseudo-setting book to read. Tons of great ideas all through this volume.

Huh. Heh. I didn't realize this was thread necromancy. Looks like I answered this two and a half years ago, and had a similar answer. Thee of the five are the same ones I picked then; since then one of my honorable mentions moved up to rank.

I think it was 2 years ago that I posted in this thread. Paranoia and Feng Shui are still in my top 5 and I'm still not sure about the other 3 books(assuming we don't include the core 3). There are a number that I could put in there but I'm not 100% sure which ones to go with.

Olaf the Stout

Last edited:

The Green Adam

First Post
Roughly and in no particular order...

Star Trek: The Next Generation RPG by Last Unicorn Games (I'm more of a TOS fan but the TNG book is just easier to read and utilize).

Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Edition by Green Ronin

Champions 4th Edition (George Perez Cover) by Hero Games

Faery's Tale Deluxe by Firefly Games/Green Ronin

Star Wars, The Role Playing Game 2nd Edition by West End Games

Runner Ups include but are not limited to: Ars Magica 3rd Ed., Traveller / The Books (Classic Reprints by Far Future Enterprises), InSpectres by Memento Mori, Sketch by Corsair Publishing and Mekton II by R. Talsorian Games.

AD
Barking Alien

Wormwood

Adventurer
I can pull any of these books off the shelf and read them for pleasure and inspiration. They are some of the handful of books that survived the Great eBay Purge of 2007.

Call of Cthulhu, fifth Edition
Shadowrun first edition
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Revised Core Rulebook
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Master's Guide
Vampire: the Masquerade, first edition

weem

First Post
1. Rules Cyclopedia (bought it when it came out, just for the heck of it... very glad I did).

2. The oldies on the bottom left here.

3. All my Planescape stuff

4. Wrath of the Immortals

5. The Complete Book of Thieves

...all for nostalgic reasons.

Sunking

First Post
Anniversary Edition Leather Bound Call of Cthulhu Rulebook: Squamous green leather with a red elder sign. This is the one to have if I could only chose one book to keep.

Expanded Psionics Handbook: So much goddi and it works as part of the system now.

Planescape campaign setting: all the great settings in one

Tome of Magic (Ad&d 2ed.): from this i have gotten so much, specialy worth mentioning the wildmage.

Lef: A danish RPG that realy does both tabletop and larp good.

Remove ads