Best Game System for This Situation

Fanaelialae

Legend
The Dawnline is a good system, if you don't mind the unusual premise. Basically, you play a group of vampires protecting a nomadic village that must perpetually travel through band of dusk between true night (where dangerous monsters live) and the dawn (where vampires burn up and humans are never seen again).

The system itself is fairly rules lite, while still managing to be highly tactical. The vampire types are extremely varied (and always somewhat inhuman). Your rules lite and casual player could pick their type and just pick the powers that are typical for that type of vampire, while the optimizer could hunt through the list for combos. There's also a village maintenance and building phase that the crunch oriented player might enjoy.

From a GM perspective it seems fairly easy to run. It isn't overburdened by an excess of rules, except for the lengthy list of conditions that the combat rules are built around.

As for the setting, it's an extremely mysterious premise where no one's really certain how things came to be this way, so you have a lot of freedom to play with it. I'd call it science-fantasy, because there's both tech and magic by default.

aramis erak

Legend
I had no major issues with the system running D&D 5E in "theater of the mind" mode for the latter half of Out of the Abyss. (I had some tech issues, but no mechanical issues.) 5E DMG has useful guidelines for how many to hit, etc.

Remove ads