• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best gaming store?

Are there any gaming stores out there that are worth making a side trip to see while travelling? I know there are lots of good gaming stores out there (and some not so good), but are there stores that have left you stunned? Dazed?

I've seen most of the stores in the Cleveland area, and those in Northern Virginia. There are some good FLGS there, but nothing I would spend part of a vacation day to visit. Do such stores exist? Is there a Harrod's of gaming? A Mall of America?

Is there the fabled geektopia? :p

howandwhy99

Adventurer
DreadPirateMurphy said:
Is there the fabled geektopia? :p
Thalmin's west of Chicago. Gamer's Plus I think it is.
EDIT: Games Plus on West Prospect

I'd say Napolean's in Milwaukee too, but it's been gone for awhile now. Just 'cause it was Napolean's and it was Milwaukee.

The TSR store in Lake Geneva, WI too. Again defunct.

Last edited:

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
There's a great store in Dayton, Ohio called Crystal Keep (formerly Wexfor Hill hobbies). It claims to be the biggest game store in the tri-state area and has a lot of great displays, huge gaming area and really caters to RPGs.

shouit

Explorer
There is a great one in MN, north of the Mall of America, The Source. Huge store and has held the record for most people gaming at one time.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
The Sentry Box in Calgary is everything a gaming store should be.

Calgary's a bit out of the way, I know, but if you are ever within a few hundred miles, it's TOTALLY worth the trip. I have never been in a game store to match it.

Imperial Hobbies is pretty awesome, no question. But I give the edge to The Sentry Box for gaming space and atmosphere.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Monte's Used Books on Old Highway 24 in Kansas City, MS. We made monthly trips up from Topeka just to check the stock, several years ago. The shop itself is a dark, cramped, dungeon but dear god -- the games! The games! You could find MINT (still in original shrink wrap) copies of EPT there at one time. Or Near Mint sets of the entire Dangerous Journeys line. Or obscure foreign favorites like Drakar Och Demoner. Monte's rocks.

Last edited:

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
barsoomcore said:
Everything a gaming store should be
jmucchiello said:
Which is? I'd split this off into a separate topic but next time I travel I want there to be just one thread to look up.
Home to a MASSIVE selection of games -- part of the joy of a game store (that Amazon cannot provide) is just randomly browsing shelves and having your attention caught by something you never heard of and would never have searched for of your own accord.

A pleasant place to spend an afternoon -- this implies clean and well-lit, populated by friendly folks who are more than willing to help

Actively supports gaming as an activity -- with tables and alcoves where actual gaming can take place. Miniatures gaming especially needs dedicated space and while I don't do much of that myself, I like having terrain and stuff around. Gives a place class.

A source of both wisdom and social opportunity -- the staff should know their products, should be passionate without being arrogant (Granville Collectables, I'm looking at YOU), and should encourage conversation and interaction between patrons.

If there was a store that did these things in Toronto, I would be there spending my money.

Remove ads