Best Humanoid race for Hexblade

Shellman

First Post
Im playing in a FR campaign set in Cormyr. This is a primarily a city setting, so my question is what would be the best race (besides a straight up Human) for a Hexblade?

Thanx in advance for any help!

moritheil

First Post
Shellman said:
Im playing in a FR campaign set in Cormyr. This is a primarily a city setting, so my question is what would be the best race (besides a straight up Human) for a Hexblade?

Thanx in advance for any help!

IIRC your casting and hex stat is Cha. Star elves have a +2 to cha and free ghost touch at night. They are also from the FR setting, so they should be fine.

pawsplay

Hero
Generally speaking, human, drow, or gnome is the way to go. Half-elves are not any worse than usual as hexblades, for that matter.

Shellman

First Post
moritheil said:
IIRC your casting and hex stat is Cha. Star elves have a +2 to cha and free ghost touch at night. They are also from the FR setting, so they should be fine.

I forget what book Star Elves are out of. COuld you let me know?

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Lizard Man "Currsssse!"

High charisma isn't the end-all be-all stat a hexblade needs to be effective.
Most of their spells are defensive in nature anyway. High enough to cast the spells you want is high enough. Hexblade Curse is, most of the time, a "C'mon, roll a 1" ability, or a 5% chance ability.

Satori

First Post
From an optimization standpoint, Hexblades are good for one of two things.

1. A three level dip for Arcane Resistance and Mettle.

2. Single classed ONLY far enough to get an Improved Familiar (Worg) and create a mounted charging character.

Therefore, you need to look at what you want the PC to do. If you want a single classed Hexblade, then you'll probably want a mounted, mobile charger that rides a hardcore combat familiar and plays as a frontline fighter. In this case, any race that provides a decent "Fighter" race will work.

In all honesty, just choose a race that doesn't take a penalty to Con or Str and you should be fine.

Remove ads