• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best NonWOTC Campaign setting?

Terry Edwards

Scarred Lands is fun to play, although I have only played in a couple campaigns, never DMed or even done more than peruse a couple books. It definitely intrigued me as a player though.

I personally love Iron Kingdoms, but as many have stated the campaign guides have not even been released yet. They are due out very soon and are guaranteed to be packed with quality content if their past material and previews are any indication. Killer miniatures too!

BTW, why no WoTC settings? Feel free not to answer the quetsion if it will change the focus to the discussion but more input as to what you're looking for will only help.

scranford

Explorer
One interesting Idea I had is running in Arduin with "The Legendary Lands of Khass". This is a completely non system specific world book, with very good web support. No new classes, prestige classes, spells, skills, items etc. Just a hardcover 865 pages of setting. That way you can choose what you want to include, and with the volumn of material there is room for everything. You can check them out at www.WorldofKhaas.com.

Last edited:

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Going by the posters REQUEST, I'd say Kalamar and Scarred Lands, both have support, neither changes core classes (but add a few rules). Both have a lot of books to buy to know it all, but Kalamar is a little easier as you can stick to the Players Guide and Campaign setting and get by easily. :)

blindrage

Raging blindly since 1969
My three votes in the order I like them:

1) Scarred Lands
2) Midnight
3) DragonStar

All these have something different in them but not too different to alienate the players or DMs. And the monsters in them are portable to other D&D games.

Kalendraf

Explorer
If I had to recommend just one, it would be Scarred Lands. There's a lot of material out there for it, so it's a very well supported world.

Ghostwind

First Post
For players starting at 3rd level, Oathbound won't quite work. The minimum level Oathbound will work is 5th although 7th is recommended. You can grab a free download of the introductory adventure "Waters of Akaya" from Bastion's website. I encourage you to read it and get a feel for the setting.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well not surprising, Ash got his "friends" to speak for Midnight.

But seems like our fellow wants some different but not like shatter the box different.

(Still I say give Midnight a go. It can't hurt) (You owe me big time, Ash. :p )

Anyway what's good about Scarred Lands:

Lots of emphasis on monsters, survival and yes low magic item count (At least in MY games ;) )

A complete and flexible panethon of Gods. (8 gods, no gateway on arcane magic and hey if you want some fun, try our planes! They're new! ;) )

Sorcerers are more than just untrained wizards. They are controllers of arcane forces, blooded and fetted to be the best.

Clerics aren't druids and druids aren't clerics. But some shamans might be druids! ;)

I wrote some books for it. ;) Plus I maintain a nice little thread too.

scarn.mortality.net is home to a lot of stuff Dms can use.

derverdammte

Explorer
Gaiden said:
Arcana Unearthed.
AU needs more love. Even though the setting is a little sketchy, it's a great concept with lots of possibilities. With Monte Cook and Mike Mearls--both in my subjective short list of best designers in the industry--working on it, it's just going to get better and better.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Uhm only thing is Derv, I think he doesn't want to break the box so to speak.

Even so AU is a good choice for those that had played D&D for a long time.

Scarred Lands is still the best! ;)

Remove ads