D&D General best of the cutting room floor

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Sure, you had your basic plusses, but then you had properties, like being made of energy, on-fire, frost, made of mithral, made of shadow, etc. Each one of those had a "plus" value, plus requirements for making it (which could be a combination feats, skills, level, and spells known), plus a total GP value/cost.
so how difficult would it be to make the ultimate item?

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Only issue I have with monster templates is that you have to re-write the monster statblock to insert the additional info into them.

When we had the monster builder program during 4E, layering a template or new abilities into a monster was fine because they could be inserted right into the statblock in its proper place by the program, then you could copy/paste that statblock to whatever format you used them at your table (for me, it's printed Word docs with the statblocks as inserted images). But if I had to re-type stuff in order to put template info into a statblock, it would never be worth the time. Nowadays, this is why I use D&D Beyond, because more often than not if I need a variant or powered up/down monster from what we normally get in the MM... the Homebrew Monster database will usually have one already created for me to use instead. I can just image capture the statblock and then paste it into the Word doc I'm using for the encounter.
I would love to have a monster builder program for 5e like we did for 4e, I use to spend hours just making random and interesting monsters using all the options. It will never happen but this is one of my biggest pipe dreams.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases