D&D 5E Best on screen depiction of the D&D Rogue

Which on screen depiction best captures the D&D rogue?

• Dread Pirate Roberts (Princess Bride)

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Malak (Conan the destoyer)

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Subotai (Conan the Barbarian 1982)

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Ioz (Pirates of Dark Water)

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Arya (GoT)

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Jaqen H'ghar (GoT)

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Lord Varys (GoT)

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Oberyn Martell (GoT)

• Bilbo Baggins (Hobbit)

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Baldin (Hawk the Slayer)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robin Hood (Robin Hood)

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Will Scarlet (Robin Hood)

• Peter Blood (Captain Blood--Errol Flynn, 1935)

• Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Porthos (Three Musketeers 1993))

• Zorro (Mask of Zorro)

• Cunningham (Rob Roy)

• Ali Baba (Ali Baba and the 40 thieves)

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Torquil (Krull)

• Sheila (D&D cartoon)

• Snails (D&D movie. The one that doesn't exist. Or so I believe)

• Sesshomaru (INUYASHA)

• Sasuke (Naruto)

• Naofumi (Rising of the Shield Hero)

• Woodcheck (Record of Lodoss War)

• Edmund Blackadder (Blackadder)

• Goblin King (Labyrinth)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Mouse (Ladyhawke)

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Anna Valerius (Van Helsing 2004)

• Valeria (Conan the Barbarian)

• Bloodrayne (Bloodrayne)

• Queen Christina (Queen Christina--Greta Garbo)

• Gabrielle (Xena)

• Rool and Franjean (Willow)

• Gurgi (Black Cauldron)

• Autocylus (Legendary Journey)

Sacrosanct

Legend
The next poll is sorcerer. This is where it gets tricky, because movies and tv shows don’t really use vancian casting. So there is A LOT of overlap between sorcerer, wizard, and warlock. For example, is Gandalf a wizard or a sorcerer? I think what’s gonna happen is I’ll take everyone’s submissions and ideas, and split the class poll as evenly as I can get, trying to put each person under the best fit for the class.

For example, Bavmorda, Xusia, and Maleficent seem sorcerers to me, while Ergo the Magnificent and David Lo Pan are wizards?

thoughts?

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
The distinctions between arcane spellcasters onscreen will be hard to make as cinema does not necessarily follow the guidelines of RPGs (let alone one RPG in particular). Would it not be better to consolidate them into one poll and let the masses sort out where the boundaries lie?

My vote, for what it's worth, is to keep the sorcerer and wizard in one poll. I think that separating the two will prove just too frustrating.

For example, Harry Potter. In that world, it's clear that wizarding is some sort of inborn trait - either you can cast magic or you can't. But then they go to school to learn how to use magic. So which is it?

Maybe warlocks could be separated out (also, they probably will come from horror movies more, like, er, Warlock) - it's pretty easy to see who draws their power from some sort of pact or bargain (Kaecilius from Dr. Strange also springs to mind).

The next poll is sorcerer. This is where it gets tricky, because movies and tv shows don’t really use vancian casting. So there is A LOT of overlap between sorcerer, wizard, and warlock.

I mentioned it in the fighter poll, but should have added it here as well. Because fighter had so many examples, any swashbuckler type would go into the rogue poll. Pretty much dex based combatants.
There are an awful lot of rogues as well. You have missed out a whole bunch of spies and secret agents (James Bond, Simon Templer, Raffles). I would have made "stealthy" the core requirement for rogue, "armoured" the core requirement for fighters, and had a separate list for "Swashbucklers" covering dex fighters, scrappy rogues and multiclassed fighter/thieves.

Plus there is your average TV detective, too many to list really. For example, did you ever see Father Dowling Investigates? You would be hard pushed to find an episode in which Sister Steve didn't pick a lock, hide to overhear a conversation AND don a disguise.

And Sherlock Holmes is the original Inquisitive.

Sacrosanct

Legend
There are an awful lot of rogues as well. You have missed out a whole bunch of spies and secret agents (James Bond, Simon Templer, Raffles). I would have made "stealthy" the core requirement for rogue, "armoured" the core requirement for fighters, and had a separate list for "Swashbucklers" covering dex fighters, scrappy rogues and multiclassed fighter/thieves.

The scope was limited to fantasy, so no james bond

Remove ads