D&D General Best "out of the box" ready to run adventures/modules?

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
To get us back on topic, I've heard good things about this adventure, but have never run it:
Has anyone here run it, and if so, do you think it meets the OP's critera?

I have read it entirely, though I haven't run it.

It seems pretty easy to prep. My issue with it is that the designers don't seem terribly familiar with 5E. It reads like an adventure written by someone who played a lot of D&D in the late 80s through late 90s but not a ton since, and someone has done just enough to make it technically playable in 5E, but it doesn't reflect much of the design and philosophy changes that imo have improved adventures over the past 20 years. There are very few encounters that can be solved with non-combat approaches (at least, not without alteration by the DM) and very few scenarios that call for any non-combat skill checks, especially social ones - the writers seem to find very few opportunities to encourage or reward players to use skills other than lockpicking. If it didn't exist in 2E, it doesn't exist in this adventure - no sorcerers, no tieflings, no dragonborn, no warlocks, no class/race combinations that weren't possible in 2E.

And, yes, "a good DM could fix that." But should they have to?

For some people, all that may sound great. But personally I like how the game has changed and I'm not enthusiastic about revisiting a 2E style of play.

Last edited:

Remove ads