• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Star Trek RPG?

What's the best official Star Trek RPG?

• FASA (1982)

Votes: 57 49.1%
  • Decipher (2002)

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • Last Unicorn Games (1998)

Votes: 33 28.4%
  • Prime Directive (1993)

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Heritage (1978)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terra Games (1982)

Votes: 0 0.0%

aramis erak

Legend
The companion to the Star Wars poll. Prime Directive's a bit of a grey area, but I figured I'd include it anyway.

Feel free to add comments!

Prime Directive really should be split out into the 3 major flavors - PD 1E, GPD and PD20/PD20M. I think that GPD sucks badly. I love PD 1E... PD1E wasn't mired in the SVCisms nearly as badly as either GPD or PD20.

Also, Starships & Spacemen is a case of "Didn't get the license, released anyway"...

I'd rank them, myself, thusly:
PD 1E - Best recreates the feel for me.
Decipher - Mechanically, I like the skills, not the talents. But I like it better than LUG, and it's good playing.
FASA - Not just nostalgia - I like the CGen process, and "Yet Another Percentile System" may be blah, but it also works for making it easy to run.
LUG -system's clunky bits really annoyed the hell our of me when running it.
S&S as Trek (Tho' I'd rank it much higher on its own)
GPD
PD20/PD20M
Heritage - no "there" there
Terra Games - even less there than Heritage.

I'm partial, in order, to:

LUG Trek (the best Trek experience I had)
Decipher Trek
GURPS Prime Directive

I like Starships & Spacemen but it's more like a Trek spoof....like how Galaxy Quest is the best "not Trek" there is, so's S&S.

I admit, seeing FASA Trek rank so high has me interested in finding a copy again. I remember back in the 80's trying to play and feeling like it was the most lifeless, uninteresting adaptation of Trek one could imagine....but I was more of a Traveller player so YMMV as a lot of SF RPGs back then were not written for fun, and to one degree or another they all felt like work.

(As a side note the mere fact that FASA is getting ranked so high is indirectly turning this poll into a demonstration of Trek gamers' ages, I think. I was thirteen or fourteen when I tried tackling FASA Trek, for example....but really, there hasn't been a live Trek RPG for a decade now, so the only younger gamers voting here I guess will be the diehard youthful collectors).

aramis erak

Legend
I'm partial, in order, to:

LUG Trek (the best Trek experience I had)
Decipher Trek
GURPS Prime Directive

I like Starships & Spacemen but it's more like a Trek spoof....like how Galaxy Quest is the best "not Trek" there is, so's S&S.

I admit, seeing FASA Trek rank so high has me interested in finding a copy again. I remember back in the 80's trying to play and feeling like it was the most lifeless, uninteresting adaptation of Trek one could imagine....but I was more of a Traveller player so YMMV as a lot of SF RPGs back then were not written for fun, and to one degree or another they all felt like work.

(As a side note the mere fact that FASA is getting ranked so high is indirectly turning this poll into a demonstration of Trek gamers' ages, I think. I was thirteen or fourteen when I tried tackling FASA Trek, for example....but really, there hasn't been a live Trek RPG for a decade now, so the only younger gamers voting here I guess will be the diehard youthful collectors).

Or the pirates. Fasa Trek is the easiest to find pirate PDF of. Then LUG, then Decipher.

Remove ads