• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best system/setting for Super-Heroes?

JoeGKushner

First Post
I'm enjoying a Mutants & Masterminds campaign now but have also enjoyed Champions (Now on Hero 5th ed) and Silver Age Sentiles (Tri-Stat version only).

I have played the original Marvel Super Heroes. Loved it at the time but as I played more systems, found it hideous. Played DC heroes. Hated the lack of balance as you can have Batman and Superman in the same group and it pretty much doesn't make sense in terms of power levels. In other systems you usually can survive against more powerful opponents because your power levels are still similiar. That's my experience though. Haven't played Villaisn & Vigilantees though.

Can you explain a little more what your looking for? Complexity level? Cash to spend? For example, Hero 5th ed is no longer the Champions book like the 4th ed BBB (Big Blue Book) was and M&M has some starting material but not a lot. Silver Age is a good mix of setting and mechanics and game mastering advice.

Mythtify

First Post
I have three RPG systems on my selves. D20, classic Deadlands, and Silver Age Sentinels. SAS just rocks. I am talking about the TRI-Stat version, not the d20. The basics are simple to learn. You can create any type of character, no matter what the power level. The writting is quite good as well.

Torm

Explorer
Here's my 'me too' post: I, also, recommend Mutants and Masterminds. Highly enjoyable, easy to model any hero (and my 10 year old son put this to the test, believe me), and pretty well balanced.

I played a game of DC Heroes a while back, and while I can't complain too badly - much fun was had :) - but I have to second what has been said about it not being balanced well.

Don't be limited to games that SAY they're for supers, though - I modeled DC's Axis Amerika characters pretty well using standard FR rules not too long ago, if I do say so myself, and pitted them against the PCs - and with the magic and access to other benefits flowing like candy for the PCs ;) , they were pretty much superheroes, too.

Celtic Cowboy

First Post
NotNew@Enworld said:
Hello, I want to create a campaign where the players are very over-the-top superheroes. With supervillains that always manage to escape to take revenge later, PC's that never die, hordes of cloned henchmen and every adventure ends with a boss, the supervillains' own creation. All this set in a "Metropolis" of sorts.

Based on the above I too will have to offer Mutants & Masterminds as the best choice, combined with Freedom City for the location. The game models just about anything, has good design options, yet keeps enough D20 mechanics so it's not a bear to pick up. The production values of Green Ronin are also top notch for this line.

I've played HERO as well, and while it's meatier, I don't think it captures the feel your looking for as well as M&M.

I'm going to go with DC Superheroes(or Blood of Hereos). While, I do not think it scales well from low level(robin or batman) up to Superman level. It is an easy system that can create just about every type of superhero. I especially suggest this system if you are going to play higher powered(JLA or Avengers) style games.

I've also played the old TSR Marvel Superheroes rpg and have found about the same as others. It was terrific and fun when I was first getting into roleplaying games, but as I've matured as a roleplayer, it looks much worse of a system. I've tried fixing it to suit my taste as I love the resolution chart. It is easy and, after a short while, it comes second nature to the point you don't have to look at the chart often. DC Heroes uses a chart, but it is slightly more complex.

buzzard

First Post
Psion said:
DC Heroes and Hero are, IMO, the systems to beat for Superheroics. (And yes, I have Mutants and Masterminds. While it's not a bad system, it's a bit overhyped and I don't feel it handles some things as slickly as DC Heroes does, and doesn't model things with the same precision hero does.)

Of course DC Heroes is out of print and some find the math (albeit it's about 6th grade math) above them, so M&M remains a fairly good option.

I'm a big fan of the DC Heroes system as well. However it is sort of still in print. The game continues on without a DC license as Blood of Heroes from Pulsar games (www.pulsargamesinc.com). I don't have a copy of this version, but it does claim to use the system.

buzzard

Last edited:

takyris

First Post
Another M&M vote. Don't know what would be easiest or best for newcomers, but this has been the one that worked best for me with a d20 background.

Gadodel

First Post
Your campaign seems story driven rather than Game Mechanics driven, just the way it ought to be!

Options:

HERO: You can make a very complicated, detailed character. If you like to know exactly what is going on and do not like to leave anything up to guess work-this is the system. It takes awhile to use, so it may not be what you are looking for.

MUTANTS & MASTERMINDS: Pseudo D20, classless and has the capacity to be Multigenre. Characters are fairly easy to make and it is hard for anyone to die. I'd recommend this if your group consists of D20 junkies. Has some good support material too.

TRISTAT dX: This system is fast and rules light. A very good choice as a result. Silver Age Sentinels, which is a Superhero setting fueled by T-dX is a damn good setting. I would recommend this if you want to use a system that is different, quick and allows something to be storydriven.

If I had to pick...I would go with TriStat dX.

Quixon

First Post
I would have to vote for HERO 5th as well. I own just about every super-hero RPG ever made and I still prefer it over the others.

Emiricol

Of the ones I have played (which is virtually all of them), Mutants & Masterminds is easily the best in my opinion. Best in any system, D20 or otherwise. Can't help you with the setting, though I've been using Freedom City as a good 4-color backdrop.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads