Best Tank build

hanniball

First Post
If you're playing a Dwarven tank and have access to the Races of Stone sourcebook, I can hardly see passing up the Deepwarden class. It's second level ability is golden for any high-con, melee build. The "typical" entry is Ranger 3/Fighter 2. However, you can easily pull off a Ranger 3/Paladin 2 prefix. Of course, if you're not allowed to use RoS, than this is a rather moot point.

Thematically, I strongly prefer the Goad feat. It is the quintessential "tank" feat, IMO, allowing you to control who the opposition targets, keeping them away from your more frail companions. It's unfortunate that it hasn't worked well in my experience. The save is typically easy to make, unless you're playing a Charisma focused build.

Either way...just my 2 cp

Votan

Explorer
hanniball said:
If you're playing a Dwarven tank and have access to the Races of Stone sourcebook, I can hardly see passing up the Deepwarden class. It's second level ability is golden for any high-con, melee build.

Was it ever settled as to whether or not the armor's max DEX bonus applies to the deepwarden's CON substitution? Because, if not, then it is by far the best tank (with all sorts of other great extras).

Darklone

Play a halfling paladin. Noone expects the spirited charge of doom from a small dude who just ate more hits than a barbarian could take :D

Get a high con and you'll have many hitpoints, your saves will rawk and your mount will keep you mobile (especially if you get a flying one later). Always carry a necklace of fireballs with you in case you get eaten.

Think about multiclassing with Rogue for a few levels. :D

Last edited:

Rackhir

Explorer
Warforged Juggernaught is pretty good. You have some problems with healing (only repair construct spells work), but you get a boat load of immunities (to pretty much everything), d12 hd, and a bunch of cool charge/bull rush abilities.

hanniball

First Post
Votan said:
Was it ever settled as to whether or not the armor's max DEX bonus applies to the deepwarden's CON substitution? Because, if not, then it is by far the best tank (with all sorts of other great extras).

Custserve email response:
Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast!

The Constitution modifier to AC is not subject to the max Dex modifier
trait of any given armor. Good gaming!

*Please quote this email in any reply.*
Chris
Customer Service Department
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496

Remember, it's CustServe, so grain of salt and all that.

Legildur

First Post
hanniball said:
Custserve email response:

<some outrageous repy from Custserve>

Remember, it's CustServe, so grain of salt and all that.
LOL! Talk about broken! The new tank/AC build will no doubt include 2 levels of Deepwarden.....

shilsen

Adventurer
Iku Rex said:
Hmm. CON to AC isn't restricted by maximum DEX to AC? What could they possibly have been thinking? OUTRAGEOUS!!!!! ;)
No, no - CustServe said that it isn't restricted.

That, by all the laws of the universe, means that it absolutely and uncontrovertibly is restricted.

Such are the mysterious ways of CustServe.

Magesmiley

Explorer
I'd go with a dwarven fighter and aim for dwarven defender.

To me, when playing a tank HP and AC are the most important things. The dwarven fighter by its very nature has a disgustingly high Fort save. Most reflex saves are only hp damage, which should be one of your fortes, so you can usually eat it on a bad reflex save. Will saves tend to be the achille's heel for tanks IMO. That and falling in a hole or water (I recommend boots of levitation for the latter).

However, sink most of your money, feats, and skills (remember that a dwarf in heavy armor can tumble, which ups your fighting defensive AC bonus) into improving AC primarily and HP as a seconadry focus. The two armor optimization feats, the 8th-level dwarven fighter substitution level, and battle plate from Races of Stone are worth 4 more AC. Take a tower shield. The cover can be handy at times.

I tend to favor a high intelligence tank which can use combat expertise (and improved) over a high dex one myself. I find at later levels the combat expertise bonus is worth more than the couple of points of AC you can get from DEX by using mithral armor.

Just my take.

Remove ads