• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best use of rituals you have seen so far?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I think there should be some rules for quick casting a ritual. Perhaps with -10 to the check? Who knows. Didn't have time to read all 4 pages of this thread, has anyone posted any houserules on this topic?

I came up with the houserules I put in here planesailing / Using Rituals in melee

You can attempt to cast rituals in the midst of melee by attempting a complexity 4 a skill challenge (10 successes before 5 failures).

Each round you can use the appropriate skill to attempt to move closer to completion. The more effort you put into it, the easier you find it. You can only make one check each round, but the action you devote to it determines how tricky the check is.

* a standard action (for an easy check),
* a move action (for a moderate check)
* a minor action (for a hard check).

If you complete the challenge you finish the ritual, if you fail the challenge you fail the ritual - either using up the components, or having the ritual backfire or something appropriate.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I do believe the blog I read this on belongs to an ENWorld forum member. Can't remember the username or the blog though... "4th edition rules, 1st edition feel" ring any bells?

GStrayton at Legends & Labyrinths?

(hope he doesn't mind me posting this here)

7. Rituals. The casting time of all rituals is one standard action. In addition, casting a ritual is free. However, the number of rituals any character can cast in a day is equal to 1 + half level. Just like encounter, utility, and daily wizard spells, rituals must be selected at the start of the day. You may choose any ritual of any level equal to your PC’s level or less to prepare in any of the available slots, and you can prepare multiple “impressions” of a ritual. For example, you could prepare Hand of Fate twice, taking up two of your slots for the day. Note: Raise Dead now functions exactly like the Warpriest’s Resurrection ability. Though it takes a standard action to cast, it can only be used at the end of an extended rest.​

I have a similar system. You can prep rituals in Daily slots to cast them as a Standard Action. Otherwise they're the same as in the PHB.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
GStrayton at Legends & Labyrinths?

(hope he doesn't mind me posting this here)
7. Rituals. The casting time of all rituals is one standard action. In addition, casting a ritual is free. However, the number of rituals any character can cast in a day is equal to 1 + half level. Just like encounter, utility, and daily wizard spells, rituals must be selected at the start of the day. You may choose any ritual of any level equal to your PC’s level or less to prepare in any of the available slots, and you can prepare multiple “impressions” of a ritual. For example, you could prepare Hand of Fate twice, taking up two of your slots for the day. Note: Raise Dead now functions exactly like the Warpriest’s Resurrection ability. Though it takes a standard action to cast, it can only be used at the end of an extended rest.​
I have a similar system. You can prep rituals in Daily slots to cast them as a Standard Action. Otherwise they're the same as in the PHB.
Yes, that's the one I meant, though he must have changed it since I last looked (or my memory is shot). I definitely remember something about "pre-casting" and holding the unfinished ritual for release with a Standard action. That puts a limit of one at a time, but not a daily limit.

In any case, I am pretty happy with the way things are houseruled in my game right now. Next time I run a higher-magic campaign, I will think about using Standard action triggered rituals.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads