• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best way to hijack a mindflayer ship?

calighis

First Post
I want to finish my campaign with the party hijacking a mindflayer ship from on top of a pyramid.
I don't know the first thing about them and I was wondering if I could have some suggestions for specific ships + stats for such a thing. Also a method for piloting, and if you're feeling really helpful, maybe a few choice defenders that might be on board.
I have in my group,
A 10th level sorc
11th level thrikreen monk
and a thief cleric 5/6

frankthedm

First Post
MM5 has some flayers just in the level range you seek.

Semi material and nigh invisible "Forces" that attack non flayers and function like gelatinous cubes are kind of amusing.

Mind broken Umber hulks are a good staple.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
A couple quick thoughts - for piloting I'd take a page from Spelljammer and have a Helm (literally in this case a helmet) that requires mental energy to manouever the ship - Minid Flayers would have a big advantage here obviously.

If you can find a copy of "Airships" its got lots of good stats and such for these kinds of things - I know you can get it from a couple of places online for $5 (I got my copy at Gencon at that price). I'll second the idea of taking a look at MM5 for lots of Mind Flayer-y goodness.

calighis

First Post
MM5 has some flayers just in the level range you seek.

Semi material and nigh invisible "Forces" that attack non flayers and function like gelatinous cubes are kind of amusing.

Mind broken Umber hulks are a good staple.

I have been using the hulking brute mindflayr constructs from mm5 and I even created a face hugger (with stunning ability upon successful grapple) For sure MM5 is the way to go.

A couple quick thoughts - for piloting I'd take a page from Spelljammer and have a Helm (literally in this case a helmet) that requires mental energy to manouever the ship - Minid Flayers would have a big advantage here obviously.

If you can find a copy of "Airships" its got lots of good stats and such for these kinds of things - I know you can get it from a couple of places online for $5 (I got my copy at Gencon at that price). I'll second the idea of taking a look at MM5 for lots of Mind Flayer-y goodness.

Ok so no links? I need an airship stat. at the very last can someone tell me how the basic mechanics work so i can bs one?

Be careful about the stunning effects with such a small party.

Yeah the party members all have high will saves.
So wave after wave of Illithid have gone frustrated and hungry. Still any number of those scenarios could have been total party wipe with some bad rolls.

Remove ads